Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Happy World Teachers Day!

Okay, so technically this day was yesterday on October 5th, but I was at home with Cindy, who was throwing up most of the morning and I didn't have time to adequately post about this. Where are my priorities, right? Therefore, I will have to put two holidays in one today.

I do want to say that World Teachers Day is yet another lame-o UN holiday- thus its "celebration" will be very limited. As I was reading the official website about this day, it said that one way to mark this day was to have "extra training sessions for teachers." Jacob pretty much thought that was the worst idea in history of holidays. He was hoping for more of a day of tribute, honor and free stuff. Better luck next year, honey! I did start thinking about all the teachers I had over the years and all the schools I went to. I remembered that we attended Bent Tree Elementary in Miami when I was in 1st and 2nd grade. That is one of the goofiest names for a school ever. And through the miracle of technology I just Googled that and found that their mascot is now the Falcons, they have been an A school for the past nine years and pretty much every teacher there has a Spanish last name. Honestly, I remember pretty much nothing about those two years of my life- which is either kinda sad or normal. Not sure which. The one very clear memory I have of that school, is that one day a guy in a suit came to our class and explained (by drawing a picture on the chalkboard) why the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded. I guess we all watched it as a class in 1986 and were traumatized. Yup. That pretty much sums up 1st and 2nd grade. And World Teachers Day. Take that, UN!


Happy Mad Hatter's Day!

In the movie Alice and Wonderland, the Mad Hatter wears a hat that has a small tag on it that has the fraction 10/6. Thus, October 6th has been named Mad Hatters Day. Because the Mad Hatter is always acting silly, it is said that you should celebrate this day by acting silly yourself. I, obviously, celebrate this day every day of my life, so what is the big deal? I did TRY to play a practical joke on Cindy this afternoon, however, she did not react worthy of a blog post, so I will go different direction. Senora Blog always has a back-up plan! I will now show you a gallery of hats that Cindy made in preschool last year. I knew taking all these pictures would come in handy one day. So happy Mad Hatters Day :)






























As you can see it was a very festive year for Cindy. Halloween, Groundhog Day, Presidents Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving- Miss Kristie had a hat for all seasons. All the good teachers do. And apparently Abe Lincoln and snowmen shop at the same hat store. Who knew?

No comments: