Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Setbacks

Ugh, I spoke to soon about my mom. The results of the MRI she had came back and she is not able to be a participant in the test group for the new procedure. Not the right candidate. Which now means she is now back to the beginning and waiting for a surgery date. If I haven't wearied you enough with my requests for prayers on her behalf, I would ask you just once more to pray that she can get a quick surgery date and start to beat this thing :) I know it will work!


AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT:

Know Your Line-mates

Being at Disney last week with Jacob and standing in lines pretty much all day reminded about all the different people you get the pleasure of being forced to hang out with while waiting. I have decided that these people generally fall into 1 of 7 categories. Recognize these people?

1. The Lovebirds. I guess I kinda see how you can confuse the sign for Space Mountain for Squaw Peak. Oy! Get a room!

2. Obnoxious teenagers. Sorry, teens, but you officially drive me crazy in settings such as this. Why? Is it because you are insanely loud? Maybe. Because you hit me with your giant backpack 22 times in 30 minutes and never acknowledge that you are sorry? Could be. Because you want to play leapfrog and chicken in a tiny space that is sweaty and packed with people? Perhaps. Yup, “Doing things in the most obnoxious way possible while technically not doing anything wrong"; that is the teenager motto.

3. Clueless technofiles. Glued to the phone, iPod, etc. a bomb could detonate and they would not notice. The line finally moves 30 feet and we all have to wait an additional ten minutes for you to figure out you are on planet earth and move to where you are supposed to be.

4. The sitters. Apparently these people have the stamina of Jabba the Hut or they ran in the Boston Marathon before getting to the park that morning because if there is a way to sit down in line, they will find it. Whether on the retaining walls, on the guide chains or stanchions, even laying on the floor or using backpacks for pillows, standing for any length of time is just not gonna work for them. And thus, walking in an orderly, timely fashion is just not gonna work out for you.

5. The policemen. Their whole job is to make sure that you stay in your place. Because in a giant line of people packed together with absolutely nowhere to go, you never know who might be sneaky enough to suddenly run off to the front of the line and skip every single person in a single bound.

6. Foreigners with crazy shoes. Obviously they are speaking a different language (so “Guess the nationality” is a fun game to play), but the dead giveaway is really the shoes. Foreigners have the most interesting shoes. Most of them are Pumas, I have noticed. But the colors and designs they come in are just amazing, aren’t they? I wouldn’t think to put neon yellow with rust, but someone else did and then another someone else LIKED IT! Amazing.

7. Finally, we have the “Family with a small child who needs convincing a ride is not scary” group. I always seem to run into this group. I could see about 5 of these groups while in line at Tower of Terror alone. It takes everything I have not to butt in and say to the kid, “They’re lying to you, you’re a goner!” Truth is that no one else is willing to stay behind and miss out on the ride, so they are going whether they like it or not.

I guess the only one I left out was the normal, incredibly attractive childless couple who are practically perfect in every way. I didn’t see them in line with me, but I am sure some other people did on Thursday…

2 comments:

Mags said...

The technophiles are new ones to me. I worked there long ago enough that technology wasn't 'that' handy.

As a former cast member though, it was easy to spot Japanese people. (I have never been able to tell one Asian group from another...I know I am married to one, but still, no clue.) Japanese people had THE MOST top of the line, latest, before it came to America, type of cameras. We had to take pictures for anyone who asked us.

There were some missed but they aren't 'everyday' type groups. More seasonal, I would say.

Tara Lynn said...

Jessica, reading your blog is always a fantastic way to start my day. Thank you.

Reading and laughing, I can't help but think of myself and see where I fall or have fallen. As a child, I was totally the one that was terrified of roller coasters. I spent a lot of time being convinced I would survive. Luckily, I have a mommy who rode Dumbo with me over and over and over while my dad and sister went on the really "scary" rides.

Also, I think sometimes in the past I may have even qualified as a sitter. Embarrassing, I know. Now I picture my face on Jabba's hot body...Ew. But I confess that on those freakishly hot days my family was at the parks, I found myself looking for any bit of shade in which to sit. Maybe I just wanted to beat my sister to the next seat. Guess I need to work on building my theme park line stamina a bit :)