Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Movie #27- The Spanish Prisoner
Suggested by Sweeneyville reader Chris Bingham

When I had my appendix out in 2003, Chris was the surgical intern on the operating team. If not for him, I would be walking around with one less appendix, yes, but also four extra sponges and a pair of scissors in my abdomen. Good eye, Dr. Bingham! Of course Chris is actually just my second oldest brother. But he really is a doctor. In fact, he moves to the magical land of Tennessee next summer to begin his life as a non-resident. Finally! He has two girls, one son and of course an amazing wife, Molly. He told me to watch this movie, so I did. And here is what I thought...


The Spanish Prisoner
Overall: 7.5/10
Deductions: 90's fashion!
Bonus Points: music done by the same guy that did Twilight (he loves his clarinet and drums!)

So this was billed as a really good con movie and so in the spirit of The Sting, I was game to check it out. Well, it was a con movie alright, but overall it fell a little flat for me. I found it a little weird and anti-climatic at the end. I mean, if you are like me when watching a con movie, you assume from the get go that EVERYONE is some sort of double crossing secret agent. So for me, movies of this type really have to go above and beyond and take some really interesting twists to avoid me lumping it into the "you've seen one you've seen them all" category. The big "gotcha!" moment at the end has to be pretty darn surprising. Don't get me wrong, the story was good. I liked the actors. But the dialogue and behavior of everyone was a little odd to me. The style of the movie was to not explain everything until the very end (you hope). But I didn't really get the answers to my questions, which was frustrating. Steve Martin was okay in this dramatic role, but it wasn't him being serious that was hard to buy, it was him being evil. He is almost just too likable to pull it off. So overall, it wasn't horrible but it definitely didn't blow me away. And that is my professional opinion. Do you concur?

No comments: