Saturday, February 12, 2011

L is for Lucky Charms

Of all the 117 varieties of cereal that I claim to love, Lucky Charms would have to be up there in the top 10 (chocolate LC being the best variety). I know that people usually have a very strong opinion on this cereal. You either are like me and love them, or you are like my dad and put them in the same category as macaroni and cheese and tootsie rolls, you abhor them. (I'll give you tootsie rolls, but mac and cheese?! Come on, Dad!)

Anyway, I did a little research about this cereal and you will never believe what I found. Based on the myriad of opinions I have heard from family and friends concerning the marshmallows and their peculiar consistency, this will make total sense. Wikipedia: And I quote...

"Lucky charms were created in 1962 by John Holahan. Holahan came up with the idea after a visit to the grocery store in which he decided to mix Cheerios with bits of Brach's Circus Peanuts."
So the speculation is true! Those things are kinda supposed to taste like those circus peanuts! (Which I do like, but only about 1 at a time). I can't believe that is where he really got the idea! Does anyone else find that absolutely amazing? I guess when you are an officiado like me, these things blow your mind.

And just for good measure, here are four more facts about Lucky Charms cereal that will enusure that the next time you are on Jeopardy, you will dominate the category called "History of Lucky Charms":

1. Lucky the Leprechaun was also known as Sir Charms. I actually think that is pretty cute.

2. The original oat pieces were not frosted. They sold much better when they decided to change that. (Good thing they did, otherwise it would be like eating cheerios and circus peanuts, and that's just disgusting.)

3. There have been many different marshmallow shapes since the 60s (clovers, hearts, horseshoes, balloons, moons, stars, etc.) but did you know that among the different shapes that there was once a whale and a green pine tree? (Be quiet, no you didn't.)

4. An advertising company hired by General Mills decided to market the cereal around the idea of charm bracelets, and hence the concept of a cereal with "charms" in them was born.

So the next time you eat a bowl of this magical loot (which is about every 4 hours, am I right?) you can be proud that you know all about it. Which is more than I can say for some of the food I eat...

No comments: