Friday, December 12, 2008

The Happiest Post on Earth

Today's post will be all about the trip I took with Cindy yesterday to Disney World. Usually I wait at least a few days to post pics, and write about the event, but there are a ton of things I want to remember about the day, so no time like the present! It is going to be a LONG post- I am taking some major Mom liberties here, so I totally approve of you either skipping this post entirely or just glancing at the pictures if you're really bored.

First, I have to say, that taking your kid to Disney, to me, has never been one of those MUST DO events in life. Let's be honest, that one is really all about the parents. I kind of think that the parents get way more into it and the kids never really experience it the way the parents want them to.
However, because Cindy was already SO into the princesses, (and I don't mean "into them" by just owning some of their cheap merchandise or recognizing them from a movie she watched one time), but REALLY into the Princesses and truly believing they actually live somewhere- I was hopeful that she would have a great time. And I can tell you the day did not disappoint!

My Mom was gracious enough to watch Luke the whole day for me so it could be just me and Cindy- THANK YOU, MOM!! Grandma Sweeney gave us the tickets as a Christmas present- THANK YOU, DEANNE!! (I know, I have an amazing family, I recognize this every day :) A cold front/squall line was in the forecast for the morning in Orlando- complete with tornado watch and severe weather warning, but I didn't care, I thought we could dodge that bullet by some miracle. Wasn't quite the prophet on that one... But it did work into my plan perfectly that the crowds would be almost nothing and they were! We did not wait more than 10 minutes for anything we rode- it was like a ghost town (insert visual of a tumbleweed blowing by here)
We left about 9:15 and the day started out muggy and misty. We got into the park no problem, paid the TWELVE DOLLARS to park (that is insane, I am sorry) and rode the monorail into Disney. (Cindy then just wanted to ride that over and over, but I finally convinced her there might be things that were more fun to do inside the park ;)

When Cindy first saw the castle, it was like a hypnotist had put her into a strange trance and all she could do was ask how do we get up there and see all the rooms?? Of course, you can't go in it- Disney really needs to remedy this problem. Oh Wait, they have, actually you CAN go in it- but only if you pay $40 for breakfast or $125 for your daughter to have a princess makeover. Silly me! ;) Anyway, we had about an hour or so before the heavens opened and poured out the driving rain on us. We still had a good time, though. To Cindy's credit, she really was the perfect child! She did not complain at all, she was so unimpressed by the "rides", she loved the shows and parade, she just wanted to see Princesses, she didn't really ask for me to buy anything- we did not even eat ANYTHING until 7:30 that night! I could not convince her to get an ice cream, a pretzel, fries, NOTHING- she just wanted to play and see stuff- funny kid! So here are a ton of pics, mostly for my own enjoyment :)


Cindy loved being in charge of The Map.


Cinderella's Golden Carousel was one of Cindy's favorite rides. It never had a wait time, and she loved it. I even found out that only one horse on that carousel has a gold ribbon in its tail and that is supposed to be Cinderella's horse. We tried to get that one a few times, but someone else had already grabbed it. Who knew?

This was Dumbo's flying ride. The was the last time we were dry for a long time :) I thought she would be terrified, but she loved it and wanted me to make it stay high in the air the whole time. She also kept calling it Jumbo's Ride the rest of the day.



I promised myself I would not go on the teacups because, seriously, it makes me really sick, but how can you say no? Cindy LOVED this ride and she really couldn't make the cup spin that fast by herself, so we must have done it about 10 times. In the middle of the hardest part of the rain that morning, we did it almost 6 times in a row. Greater love hath no Mom than she who rides the teacups 6 times for her daughter...
















ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOMENTS OF THE DAY: I am sorry this is blurry, but we saw this little sign on the inside of the teacup:


Cindy told me that she knew what it meant and she said 100% seriously, "No Dancing."

I really was surprised at how bored Cindy was on the rides. We did the Snow White ride, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, It's a Small World- and only that one did she even make a comment about. She knew what she wanted to do, I guess, and going on rides was not it. She thought the Snow White ride was scary and so after that I think she thought everything was going to be. No skin off my back! I just wanted her to be happy, so whatever she wanted to do was fine with me!

We went on the Astro Orbiter while we waited for the rain to dry and Belle to come out and read a story to everyone. It spins WAY fast- so both of us wanted off. Plus, the seat belt went around me and Cindy- very tight- and so after pulling the lever toward her and going too high, she could not reach forward far enough to push the lever forward to come down. Not a fun ride for us. :)






When we first got there and were on our way to the Carousel, we walked by the little cove with benches where Belle comes out to read a story to you. All of the little shows were cancelled until the rain cleared, but Cindy becamse absolutely obessessed with seeing Belle at this little show. She talked/thought about it constantly. After every ride we would go back and check for Belle. Rain or shine. This is the gate from where she emerges and one of the many times Cindy went up to it to look in to find Belle "and see where her bedroom was". (this is all totally serious and not an act in any way- that is what makes it so fun for me :)








We got absolutely soaked all morning running in the rain, but we still had fun. We rode the railroad for a little while to dry off and see the park.











Finally at 2:15 we got to see Belle! She came out,read a story, did a little show and Cindy was GLUED. I could have detonated a bomb and she would not have moved.

This was what she had been waiting for!!!!! Oh, the happiness! She hugged Belle three times and asked to see her bedroom. Belle told her that her castle is far away in France, and she was just staying with Cinderella for a little while. :)

Now, you would think that after this moment, it would be pure Joy! But Alas, I got this instead:

She was literally on the verge of tears and I asked her what was wrong and she said "I just really wish that I could live with Belle..." Awwwwhhh!

Then it was time for the parade- where we got to see more Princesses and other Disney characters. Cindy tripped over my backapck when she was running away from Captain Hook. That was a classic. We rode some more rides and then happened to come back by Belle's little cove and another show was about to start, Cindy was hooked! We sat down again to watch :) Only this time, Cindy got picked to be in the show!!!! I had a feeling they might have recognized her again and had mercy on her. (After the first show I told the helper that Cindy wanted to live with Belle and she said "Oh, you can be right up there in the cupboard with Chip!" And Cindy kept asking me later, "That girl said I could be in the covered, but where is the covered?!?")

Yes, Cindy got to play the part of Chip, which meant she was the hero and got a little extra stage time with Belle. Cindy had a great poker face hiding her elation...(or was it??)


She was the last one to leave the stage and kept waving and yelling "Bye Belle! Bye!!!"

We then met Belle a second time, this time Cindy got to show Belle the Belle necklace we had just bought at the gift shop. Cindy told me that "Actually, I have two favorite princesses- Sleeping Beauty AND Belle..." and so I had mercy on her and bought the little souvenir. We can always remember her little experience with that necklace.

We then saw the Dreams Come True stage show- complete with Sleeping Beauty who we had not seen before until this point.


More Carousel.....




Then we waited in line only about 30 mintues to see Ariel. (that alone tells you that no one was at the park) Cindy was happy to meet her but realized after we were done "Dangit! I forgot to ask her if that was a real tail that goes in the ocean!"
















Then we had to check to make sure Cindy was not the new King of England. Nope, she really wasn't!

At least they light the castle at night! They did a whole show with Cinderella, the Fairy Godmother and had everyone say "Bibbidi, Bobbidi Boo!" and it came on. My picture sucks, but it was magnificent! (To borrow a word from Cindy)





We then headed out of the park and over to Epcot (or Ep-eh-Cot per Cindy) to see some more lights and catch the fireworks at 9:30. It had been a long day, tons of walking, but Cindy was hanging in there and being such a trooper! We finally ate dinner when we got there. And she actually ate everything she got- another Disney dream come true.





To kill time until the fireworks, we went on the Finding Nemo ride and afterward took some pics. All of sudden she wanted me to take her picture everywhere, it was kinda strange....





Cindy was actually scared of the fireworks and the wind ended up giving us a ton of ash and debris in our hair when the show was over- but it still was a pretty impressive display. Then back on to the monorail to find the car and head home. Cindy crashed in about 2 mintues.



Despite the rain, it was a fantastic day! Fun to spend time with just Cindy and enjoy her ;) We will definitely be back...

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a delightful post! I spent most of our vacation at Disneyland with just my little princess, too, and there is nothing like that in the world! Also, I think Cindy's zonked out pic in the car is my favorite!

Chris said...

I loved this post. How funny! Tell Cindy, that I wouldn't mind living with Belle, either!

Jen said...

I love love LOVE the NO DANCING sign.

Must find it.