Monday, December 8, 2008

A Joyful.....Noise?

Every year I wait for the return of the Christmas music on the radio. More specifically, the return of the Pop Christmas music, so I can turn off the radio and not turn it on again until about January 10th. I have compiled for you a short (and probably predictable list) of the worst Christmas Songs on the radio:

1. Last Christmas- Wham! (Oh, the humanity!!)
2. Come home for Christmas- The Eagles, I can't take the grit of this version
3. Wonderful Christmastime- Paul McCartney (He was a Beatle, yet capable of THIS??)
4. Happy Christmas (War is Over) -John Lennon (Again, a Beatle made this???)
5. The Christmas Shoes- some guy (this is just so over the top, It makes me barf)
6. Santa Baby- Madonna (Kill me! I hate Madonna anyway, but this seals the deal)
7. Baby it’s cold outside- any version (Too much talking, too many voices, too stupid)

And while we are on the topic of horrible Christmas music, let me introduce you to something called “The Star Wars Christmas Album”- Yes, you read that correctly. Not a typo! I stumbled across this album’s existence last year when searching for a horribly bad Christmas album to bring to as a white elephant gift to a Christmas party. Unfortunately, the Star Wars album is like $80 on eBay, while William Hung (of American Idol Fame) had his Christmas album on eBay for a mere $3. (Sadly, that is WAY too much to pay for his. I still have a copy of it burned to my computer, and track 9, entitled “Greeting: Hopes and Dreams/We are the Champions” is always such a good pick me up when I am feeling down. But I digress…) Back to Star Wars!

Please go to this link: http://www.i-mockery.com/shorts/starwars-xmas/ ,ignore the ridiculous picture of Bon Jovi (yes, he is part of the album. I know, right?!?!?!?), and click on the link right below his picture and you can then play each of the songs in the album in their entirety on Windows Media Player. (***WARNING: I do not condone reading the blog itself on this page! Just the fact that it lets you listen to the songs.) Oh, they are just so awful, I am not sure if you can even make it through more than one or two. But if I had to pick one, I would say that the song, "What Can You Get A Wookiee For Christmas (When He Already Owns A Comb?" is a classic. Anyway, you get the idea. Hunt around thru those and give thanks that none of them are ever on the radio. And if you want it to be really funny, make sure it is after midnight and you will be crying (like I was the first time I heard it.)

On a different note- (Note? Get it? I kill me!) Here are three of my "Guilty Pleasure" Holiday songs. I actually look forward to hearing these for the first time on the radio each year...because I know you are all dying to know this:

1. All I Want for Christmas is You- Mariah Carey, Despite the fact she is my arch enemy in so many ways, I hate to admite I really like this song every year.
2. Sleigh Ride- The Ronettes, This girl group got it so right! Ring-a-ling-a-ling-a-ding-dong-ding!
3. Little Saint Nick- The Beach Boys, Maybe it is because I live in Florida, but this song makes it feel okay that Christmas is in 80 degree weather. Plus, they call Santa a cool "cat"- where else can you get that??

2 comments:

Chris said...

I completely agree with you on the Christmas music. for the most part, it drives me CRAZY! In protest, I'm not getting a Christmas tree nor putting up decorations. Ba Humbug (did I spell that right?)

hope you and your family are going great. I can't get over how cute your little girl is!

Karin said...

On the way to the FSC tree lighting last Tues, we heard Sleigh Ride by the Ronettes--and everytime we ask Jakob to sing a Christmas song now, he begins, "Ring-a-ling-a-ling-a-ding-dong-ding!" Too funny!