Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ponce de Leon

I could not think of a single thing to title this post, so I typed the first thing that came to my mind: the guy who discovered Florida. Yeah, that makes sense...

I got a text earlier today from a friend asking me how I was celebrating National Chocolate Day. I was pretty sure that this holiday was a few weeks ago, so upon double-checking, my reliable sources indicate that today is actually National Milk Chocolate Day, which is a laugh, because what is there to celebrate about MILK chocolate?? Nothing! It is officially the red headed step-child of confections. I know, you hate that I am so ambivalent sometimes. Now, National Dark Chocolate day would be a completely different story. I mean, for that day I would be eating it, baking with it, swimming in it, finger painting with it, using it for sunscreen, styling my hair with it- the possibilities are endless, really.

So I guess the answer to the question of what am I doing to celebrate National Milk Chocolate Day is painting Cindy's room and letting Luke watch the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie. Yep, that pretty much has been my whole day. Cindy does not know that I am repainting her room. I just figured the best time to clean out her old clothes, toys and bedding was while she was 2,000 miles away and unable to offer any opinions :) Luke already told me what I was in for, though. After he saw the very boring neutral light brown get painted on he said, "Well, I don't think Cindy is going to like this." Well, of course she won't! But she will like the fact that she gets new bedding, clean carpet, more space and little more decoration going on in her room. I will post pictures as soon as I get the last little accessories in place.

Finally, there is one shout out I need to make. And I shall do so with a poem:

Dear Dad,

Hope your day was fantastic, awesome and happy.
Thanks for taking care of Mom and being my pappy.
You're the greatest and bestest dad in the world;
you killed lots of bugs when I would've hurled.
You also are funny, kind and witty
and we only kinda once lived near the inner city.
You are generous with others and take care of your pets,
and you even wrote a book of mission vignettes.
You know lots of stuff; you're a jack of all trades
you kill at general trivia and rock at charades.
I guess what I'm saying is I'm glad you were born,
for without your DNA I might like candy corn. (Ew!)
So Happy Birthday, dear dad, this poem is for you
I hope that you liked it because now it is over.


Oh, I kill me :)

1 comment:

Karin said...

LOVE the poem!!!!! And, you can get cute stick-on (removable) decals to add color to the walls after the paint cures...! Happy painting!!!!