Monday, April 18, 2011

Sunflower Smackdown 2011


Cindy's Great Grandparents Sweeney were recently here visiting. Cindy and her Great Grandma (Nadine) actually share the same birthday! Nadine was so kind and gave Cindy a birthday present that could not have been more perfect: a few dollar bills and some sunflower seeds to plant in the garden. I really can't think of what Cindy loves more than cash dollars and seeds! So I decided that Cindy and I needed to have a friendly competition this time around when it comes to sunflowers and see who can grow the tallest one. Seeing as how she can get a seed to grow and flourish under the craziest circumstances and in the most ridiculous places, and I can't grow dollarweed, it would be sweet poetic justice to pull out a win. So last night we lplanted and the game is ON! We used the raised planter box that still has some cabbage growing in it- cabbage, I might add, that has not grown or decreased in size since it was planted before Christmas. Seriously, it isn't dead, it isn't growing, it is just there!! It's a marvel of nature, I tell you! Eventually I will give it to Rosa, which was really the whole point from the beginning. Anyway, give us a few months and we will see just who comes out victorious in this flower fight! Here's a hint: It will be me :)


Cindy's plot is on the left, mine is on the right. That giant stick is the dividing line. Unless Luke steals it (AGAIN) for an awesome gun. He seriously could not leave that thing alone! And as a sign of either very good luck or a sign of certain failure, CuCuFace came and poohed in the garden just after I mixed in my compost and dug my holes. I was not amused, the kids however.....


No comments: