Thursday, January 21, 2010

So that's where I get it from!

Over the holidays I was over at my mom's house and I made a significant discovery. After a huge meal, we were all helping to clear the dishes and bring them to my mom, who was at the sink rinsing them and then loading them into the dishwasher. It looked pretty full when I got there with my plates, so I asked her if they were all gonna fit. She looked at me like I just asked her if the Pope wears a funny hat. DUH. And then my dad proceeded to tell me that my Mom is indeed, a level 8 master dragon dishwasher loader. (Yes, that is the official title according to Maytag- see instruction manual, page 15.) She can take an absolutely humongous pile of odd shaped dishware, pans, Tupperware, etc. and somehow manage to fit them tetris-style into a 8 cubic foot box. And even when the dishwasher is either about to start or is in full swing and an orphan spoon or cup is found in another room, no worries! It can be added! Now the discovery part comes in when I realized that I do exactly the same thing. In fact, overloading the dishwasher efficiently has long been a skill I have been tempted to list on my resume. I just can't stand not being able to fit everything in my sink into a single load! I thought I was alone in my thinking. But I realize now this is a genetic trait. A glorious, genetic trait. Thanks, Mom :)

1 comment:

Karin said...

I absolutely LOVE that you call a left-over, left-out dish "orphan." So funny...great discription!!!