Monday, January 18, 2010

Experience #25- Learn the Aviator's Alphabet

As I was re-assessing my 30 experiences this year (and noticing that it's going to be a photo finish to do all of them by January 31), I was focusing in on the last part of the phrase that has been my motto: '30 Things I have never done before, but always wanted to try.' And I remembered one thing that I have been meaning to do forever and ever and that is to learn the aviator's alphabet. You know, those words pilots use to clarify letters they are speaking? A as in Alpha, B as in Bravo and so forth? I always thought it would just be handy to know, so that when I am on the phone and trying to tell someone my email address or spell my name, I wouldn't have those awkward moments when I panic and say something ridiculous like "E as in.....electrocution? B as in Barenstein Bears or C as in Copacabana." I want to be official, dangit!

Here is a chart of the actual aviator's alphabet: Click on it to see it bigger, I know this is not the best copy...



I actually read about the history of the alphabet and it is quite fascinating. The alphabet as is currently used was finally adopted in 1956- but there were tons of previous alphabets that were used before this. Some were made up completely of city names, others were made up completely of men's first names (Zebedee being the best one of those), but finally NATO and the rest of the world decided on this one and it is pretty much universal. For all the history low-down, go here.

Anyway, I have memorized this alphabet now, so the next time you see me you will have to quiz me. And as an added bonus, here is a special secret message to all my fans:

2 comments:

Fallaws said...

Seriously could not be more proud...next up...military time.

Jen said...

I knew Wiskey Tango. Just sayin.