Monday, January 11, 2010

Experience #23- Knit Something

So this experience is something that I have always wanted to try. Although I have never done this ever once in my entire life, knitting didn’t seem like it would be terribly difficult once you got the hang of it. And besides, I needed to be able to make something tangible that I could keep forever as a memento of my experimental 30th year.





So, in keeping with my theme of becoming an Internet know-it-all hack, I watched some nifty knitting videos and now present to you.....


A poorly shaped rectangle!

Now, at first I had dreams of grandeur. This rectangle was actually going to be a flowing, 3 toned scarf, my friend! But then the “scarf” quickly turned into an oblong casserole trivet, and then the trivet turned into a humble pot holder and I was just about to convince myself to simply knit a lovely yarmulke for my cat Yoshi- but I persevered long enough and ended up with my rectangle.



The actual knitting wasn't hard, it became very automatic. In fact, I was kind of excited that I finally found something to do while I sat on the couch next to Jacob as he slaughtered everyone in sight playing Xbox. It was relaxing. But I soon found out that making a little misstep here or there, making the stitches too tight or too loose on a certain row- does make a difference. I thought that if you did something wrong in one row you would make up for it in the next and your little hiccup would pretty much go away. But actually the stitching oddities are all related and one simply begets another...and lots of weird things can happen:) Hence, the awesome hole I knitted into the middle, the super groovy wavy edges and the quirky random clumpiness- all characteristics of a fine home-woven handicraft and ones that I actually purposely had to include, just to make sure that no one out there thought I had a professional do this for me. Proof positive it’s a Jessica original. And despite the fact that I laugh every time I look at it, I know it will get used. Hot pads are a hot commodity around here.

Anyway, ugly fuchsia pot holder thingy, I like you. And one day my kids will play Frisbee with you to put you away in the pot holder drawer in my kitchen, just like my family does with the kitschy knitted yellow and red octagonal trivets at my Mom's house. Besides, Cindy thinks my pot holder is "very beautiful." I always liked that kid :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey you will have to teach me when i come down.....I have always wanted to learn! Please teach me please!!!!

Anonymous said...

Callie's first slipper looked like that.... don't give up... knitting is a good thing. ;-) i love this blog jessica... and read it every day that you post.