Monday, June 6, 2011

Taco Time

Ever since I can remember, here in Lakeland on Hwy 98 near the old Ryan's Steakhouse (now that takes you back, eh?) there has always been a little taco truck. You know, one of those catering trailer looking kind that just open the metal windows and instantly it's open for business? Well, going and eating a taco from that stand almost made my 30 Things list 2 years ago. But alas, it didn't make the final cut :( Every once and a while I think about going, but I always worry that the local taco mafia would instantly recognize me as a gringo and reject me faster than the soup nazi, so I have never gone. But the other day, quite out of the blue, my dad called and invited me to go to lunch at the taco stand. Yea, verily! So I grabbed Luke and we headed on over to "Taco Xpress", as I learned for the very first time from the giant red bathtub filled with flowers outside of the stand.




My dad and I both got the flour tortilla tacos (although the "Mexican Hamburger" had me intrigued)- which was recommended to us by an actual Mexican who was working inside!! No way! I kept expecting to get there and find out that the stand was actually run by two Indian brothers named Rajal and Putab. Dad asked for something "muy Mexicano" so we both got our pork tacos all the way. Okay, not really for me, because I didn't actually want to experience the magical hot sauce. Chili verde; yes. The ability to not taste the meal for which I came; no. Of course my dad was all over that and within a few seconds was shedding some tears and bidding a fond farewell to many of his taste buds. He also got a large jalapeno with his order, which he ate with delight and the announcement that he would be "paying for it later". Aye, Padre! Lo tonto!




We sat out in front at the see-saw-like plastic picnic table in the blazing sun, surrounded by a used car lot on one side and a lot of road construction on the other, which was pretty darn accurate to the ambiance I had imagined! Luke hid under the table to avoid all the necessary squinting, but he had his bag of Cheetos so life was good. Anyway, the food was good. A tad overpriced based on portion size, but when you squeezed a fresh lime over those tacos, they weren't half bad! Thanks for the tacos, Dad! And for following your heart and making all of my wildest dreams come true. You are my own personal Pedro :)



P.S. One day when Brian and Kelly come back to Florida, we will go there and see just what kind of Mexican food I was actually eating. Because I didn't get sick at all, which makes me think it wasn't very authentic :)

1 comment:

Dave said...

Love it! You and your Dad are so fun!