Saturday, June 25, 2011

Updates

My mom had round 3 of chemo on Thursday. She didn't want to go (wait, who does?) but I went with her and she is such a trooper. There is a lot of needles and lab work involved and I think she really handles it all super well. She even let me make her play Mad Libs with me :) AND the lady that passes out free cookies came by right after we got there. So mom gave me her cookie and I got to have two. Even in her suffering, she is still selfless :) She went to work Friday, did a few errands this morning but was feeling pretty lousy by this afternoon :( Chemo sucks! I was telling someone today it's like knowing you are going to get the flu really bad for an entire week, every three weeks for four months. YUCK! I say we forget the electric chair or firing squad and just replace it with non-voluntary, unending chemotherapy treatments. There's your torture! But, she always pushes through it and by a week from Monday she should be functional again. We love you, Mom! Hang in there!


Cindy's soccer game today was great! She scored a goal in the first two minutes and actually all the kids on her team seemed to be firing on all cylinders. It really was a fun game to watch. SHAMELESS PLUG: I cannot tell you how amazed I am at how much better Cindy is at soccer now, than she was last fall. It is like night and day. She kicks correctly and beautifully, she does throw-ins as they are meant to be done, she can correctly trap and turn the ball- it was seriously blowing my mind today as I watched her play. And the difference has been one-on-one soccer training with her dad. Jacob had been training with her for an hour a week for the past few months. It's like magic! I think all of us as parents sign our kids up for rec soccer or other sports and just hope they are good. We have a "either they have it or they don't" mentality concerning their quality of play. After last season I would have said Cindy probably didn't really "have it." Now I am thinking, Holy smokes! She could be GOOD! So it is much like assuming your kids will naturally just know how to make a bed or fold a shirt- they don't. But they just need someone to show them, one-on-one, how to do things correctly. Then they practice and become good at it. MORAL OF THE STORY: Teach your kids to make their beds and they will be good at soccer.

I finally did something about my white rabbit guilt, and constructed a very white trash rabbit run for Rosa on our back patio. It's ugly, but it does the job, and Cindy seems to be (at least momentarily) interested in Rosa again. And Rosa seems to enjoy running around and not being trapped like veal in her hutch all day. (She may be food storage, but I still have a heart.) We now release her for short periods of time to let her exercise and be outdoors. Seriously, I feel much better about myself as a human being for having freed her. Take a look...



This is also a nice shot of Cindy's new grin :)



And finally, I just finished watching the USA v. Mexico Gold Cup Championship soccer game. Sigh....

1 comment:

Karin said...

So glad that all three of these super-important ladies in your life are doing so well! :) You & Jacob are blessed to see the fruits of his & Cindy's work so soon. That is marvelous! :) You are an amazing family!!! Please give your mom big hugs from me! Love all of you!!!