Sunday, May 27, 2012

Tenacious C and The Sand Dollar of Destiny


I just accidentally deleted a great write-up about our trip to Sanibel.  While I do some deep breathing to find inner peace and NOT punch my computer monitor in the face, enjoy this story that did not get deleted....


Before we told her the bad news....
One thing I knew prior to our trip is that Sanibel has a reputation for sand dollars.  I had mentioned this to Cindy and within about 1 second of being on the beach on Friday she was already complaining that we had not found one yet.  Oy!   Anyway, as we began shelling I realized that the odds of finding one that was whole and white and pretty like the ones you see in the gift shop are about the same odds as me voting for Obama; Hell would freeze over first AND a comet would fly in front of the sun during a lunar eclipse.  On Venus.  During Ramadan.  So, of course, my parents and I began to hatch a plan for the following day where we would buy one of the pretty sand dollars in the gift shop and then very sneakily place it on the beach for Cindy to magically find and then all would be right with the world.  However, about 2 minutes after we hatched this devious plan my dad actually found a sand dollar!  I could not believe it!  (Side note: If there is one thing that is great about my dad it is his talent for not being afraid to reach down and blindly pick up anything he feels on the bottom of the ocean with his foot.  I am a giant pansy and freak out when anything touches me in the water, because obviously it is a nine-tentacled slime monster waiting to rip my leg off.  But my dad loves to dig and pull up anything that he finds.  Sometimes it can be a little scary- horseshoe crab, anyone?  But most of the time it is a cool shell or other harmless ocean debris.  We all benefit from his courage, though :)  So of course, he made Cindy's lifetime by finding a sand dollar.  The good news: Cindy would stop asking when we were going to find one.  The bad news: the sand dollar was "alive" and therefore, it was forbidden for us to take it home.  Cindy did not take this news very well.  But we did take this picture for her to remember the good times spent with the sand dollar and we promised we would get her a pretty white one from the gift shop.



Which we did.  After she reminded us about every 3 seconds from the time she woke up on Saturday morning.

I would kill for a tan like this!!  Why does everyone else in my family get all the good Choctaw blood? No fair.


No comments: