Thursday, May 31, 2012

Knee-deep In The Water Somewhere

What, you thought I was done with my posts about the beach?  Oh no, my little friend! I have not yet begun to blog!!  Okay, actually this is the last I will post about it.                                                                                                                                               On Saturday on Sanibel we decided to hit Bowman's Beach.  It was highly recommended by TripAdvisor and had tons of parking, two things that sealed the deal for me.  It is a toss-up between which beach I liked better.  Bowman's made me feel like I was swimming in a lake because of how calm it was and the shoreline lasted forever.  But Lighthouse had that view of Ft. Myers and the Bay that was so cool.  But I can't argue with a win-win situation- either one was fantastic.                                                               I also want to give a shout out to my parents who were so great and patient and who, of course, drove us there, packed excellent snacks and tolerated everything my children wanted to do.  You guys are the best! 

I think my dad and I decided that Sanibel Island is like the charter school of beaches.  They have their own rules, they do their own thing, they don't care what you think and they know they are thought of to be a little superior (whether or not they actually are).  Plus, no one ends up on these beaches by accident.  With a $6 fee to get on the island every time and then paid parking at $2/hr, most people probably choose the free beaches when push comes to shove. You really have to be intentional to go there.  Consequently, I think all the costs cut down on the riff-raff.  Neither day did we see anyone obnoxious on the beaches.  No crazy teenagers or college co-eds, no chicken fighting, no copious amounts of alcohol, no stereos- not even anyone really being loud at all.  I'm telling you, it was a very relaxing place!

And now, more pictures for your viewing pleasure....


Let it be known that I have done a handstand in the ocean.  And let it also be known that Cindy fell over in the ocean.


Grandpa found this little sand crab for the kids.  They affectionately named him Mr. Krabs.                                                                  You were expecting Charles Von Wilhelm III?

Luke and the mighty barnacled Pen Shell!  Pretty sure it was one like this that was responsible for stabbing me in the foot and making me bleed at one point.  I suggested Aqua Sox for the next time and mom called me a sissy.  Wha?

Cindy desperately wanted to catch the little fish that we saw.

Her persistence paid off!  We ate good that night!


The stop we made at CVS for the inner tube was a great decision.

I also want to mention that while we were enjoying our day, a dolphin watching boat came speeding by out on the water and we actually got to see dolphins jump up at the back of the boat!  It was pretty darn cool.  Cindy thought it was absolutely magical :)


Mom was so diligent in building her sandcastle.  I took the picture too early to show the seashell "driveway" she put in. It was impressive.


Are we cool, or what?  (Don't answer that...)  Yes, I love being a Florida girl.  Thanks for moving here, Mom and Dad!  

No comments: