Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tough Break, Kid

Cindy is finally home! (And thankfully Linnley read my post yesterday telling everyone I would be driving to Orlando to get her and DeAnne. And then she texted to tell me it was Tampa, not Orlando :) Nice save, Linnley!) In the end I sent Jacob to get them anyway. I am not a good late night driver. But the big development around here is the amazing souvenir Cindy brought back with her- a broken arm!



She was playing around in Great Grandma Henrie's backyard on Sunday afternoon and fell off the monkey bar, putting her hands out to break her fall. She fell on her wrist, which got very swollen, but since she never said it really hurt that bad, we all decided to wait for her to get back from Utah to assess the situation. I was pretty sure it was just a sprain and that maybe just being away from home was making things seem worse than they were. Well, we finally took Cindy into Urgent Care this morning to get an x-ray and sure enough, she has a buckle fracture! Which is exactly what my brother Chris told me it probably was when I talked to him this morning :) I guess he kinda paid attention during all those years of school.


This is NOT Cindy's actual x-ray, but it looks remarkably similar. The break is in just about the same spot too. (Right side bone, near the top nobby thing. Those are the technical names, try to follow along):


Anyway, this has been a very traumatic experience for Cindy. She HATES doctors, people touching her, and being hurt. So this morning was a sweet trifecta! It has been a good teaching moment for us, though. We have talked a lot with her about how even though she "said lots of prayers that it wasn't broken" it doesn't mean Heavenly Father wasn't listening. A very good lesson for all of us, actually :)

The one emotion she seems to be feeling the most is embarrassment. She begged and pleaded for me to not blog about this or post it on Facebook. You've met me, right Cindy? We see the orthopedic doctor tomorrow to see if a cast is going on or not. If it is, I am exercising extreme unrighteous dominion and demanding that it be purple so it will match the dress she is wearing to Sean's wedding reception a week from Saturday. It's all about color coordination! You cannot upset that balance! In the meantime we are watching lots of Netflix and taking it easy. So basically nothing has changed.

3 comments:

Mags said...

Yikes! That is not a fun souvenir. I hope it heals fast.

Karin said...

I'd ask for waterproof along with purple...just FYI. It's worth it even if you have to pay a little more to be able to shower & swim...especially in FL during August...sending hugs & prayers!!!!

Dave said...

A buckle fracture is the same thing Laurel had when we came down for Thanksgiving. Sorry it happened I know it hurts. <3