Saturday, August 20, 2011

It's Cougariffic!

Since teachers had to be back for school last Monday, Jacob left Utah Sunday night. Which allowed me and the kids to play around for another day. We decided to head down to good ol' Provo! First to BYU, then to Springville to see my former BYU roomie Jen. It is always fun going back to BYU, isn't it? So many fun memories there :)

First I met up with Sarah Foley (one of the awesome YW from my home ward) at the bookstore. It was only then that she told me she about to leave for the airport to come home to Florida for 9 days. D'oh! I was under the impression that I wasn't going to see her again for ages and ages and I would win the awesome young women's leader of the year award for this visit. Nope, she was just too nice to tell me to wait a few days and I would see her back home. Just another reason she is cool. Of course the other reason I went to the bookstore was for some cool new swag. It's tradition to get a new BYU shirt every time I go. Cindy and Luke found other ways to entertain themselves while I shopped....

Luke cried about not getting this "claw thingy" for over an hour.

Cosmo! My what a big squished head you have!


After shopping, I hit the Clyde building to pop in on Krista Tripodi, another former roomie. But alas! She was not to be found for the whole week :(Sorry, I didn't warn you, Kriggity. It was kind of spur of the moment and I was just so sure that you would be there!!) But no worries, this will just force Krista to come to Florida and visit ME for a change :)

Then we did some general exploration of the campus. It really is a goregous place :)









Then it was time to get to the good stuff. I promised the kids we would find Po, the Dragon Warrior. And he really IS in the Talmage Building! But good thing there's no charge for awesomeness, because I wouldn't have paid. Look what he did to my children!



Awh, who am I kidding? I could never really stay mad at the Dragon Warrior :)




After BYU we went to the Springville Wal-mart to get Cindy her very own pink CTR ring. She was pretty happy about it. Then we went to visit my former BYU roomie Jen Harris Barnes. I hadn't seen her in YEARS! I love Jen. She is cool and smart and capable and an awesome mother of FOUR. We had some good times together at BYU, from our first shared windowless common room in U-Hall of the now demolished Deseret Towers dorm, to sharing the basement of her grandma's house in Orem just before we both got married. It always amazes me how you can just be thrown together randomly with someone as your roommate and they end up being lifelong friends. Just another way BYU is absolutely magical. Her hubby Greg was there too, and I have known him since they met at Park Plaza apartments where we lived together sophomore year. Her kids are also totally adorable. The two oldest boys took my kids to the park, let them walk their dog, shared their Thomas toys and even had Cindy asking if she could live there by the time it was time to go. Even more awesome is that I didn't even take one picture! Where was my brain??? I might regret this, but at this point in time, these are the only digital pics I have of me and Jen together.





In our defense, we were actually way ahead of our time with these. Imagine teenagers today still trying to be as wacky and goofy with 35mm film cameras. Nearly impossible! Plus we had to wait over 10 years to post these on Facebook! Obviously the wait was totally worth it, though...

2 comments:

Mike said...

Can someone explain why Po is in the Talmage Building? A bust of Lorenzo Snow, I get it. A painting of John Taylor, makes sense to me. But Po/

Jen said...

I couldn't pull myself away from the train wreck of a football game that I'm listening to on my computer. Yet, I can't bare to listen. So... I thought.. what about those blog things I used to read last year. I picked yours first and alas.. the nicest post anyone has ever blogged about me with the best pictures ever! We didn't take a picture of us when you were here? I swear we did!!! No? Really? Wow. We will have to do a do-over. By the way.. is that last photo one of me showing you "something that really hurts?"

Go Cougs. No really. Go.