Thursday, November 4, 2010

I confess! I watched another movie!

#3- Confessions of a Shopaholic
Suggested by Sweeneyville reader Meredith Cardall

(No one is really creeped out by me stealing photos of them off Facebook, right? Okay, good, just checking...)

Meredith and I go way back. During my Junior year in High School we interned together at the local television station. She was working on her dream of becoming the next morning weather girl, while I was learning the ins and outs of making coffee for the boss. Oh, those were the days! Okay, in actuality Meredith is one of Jacob's friends since way back when he lived in Maryland. She and Jacob went to high school together, early morning seminary together, dances together, and were in yearbook together. I met Meredith out at BYU for the first time in 1999, as she and I were both attending school there and she has basically been stalking me ever since. Totally kidding! We are Facebook friends, it's all good :) Meredith is what is technically described as a "crazy wicked talented digital scrapbooker." No, really. She has her own website and designs her own kits! They. are. incredible. Go ahead, check them out here. Plus she takes these amazing pictures of her two adorable girls. Oh, they are so cute! Anyway, she is a truly talented super mom and apparently quite the movie addict. She told me it would be a challenge for her to watch less than 30 movies in 30 days. I feel so inadequate! Anyway, Meredith gave me many movies to choose from, so I just picked one that would not be repeated (and one that was currently on Netflix Instant Play). However, she did recommend another movie that I will probably have to watch by the end of the month. I will leave you all in suspense on that one. Finally, Meredith gets 10 extra cool points for once having lived in Florida :)


Confessions of a Shopaholic
Overall: 6/10
Deductions: Too distracting to keep reminding myself the lead actress was NOT Amy Adams (her name is Isla Fisher), my mannequin phobia has been rekindled
Bonus Points: British guy was handsome AND named Luke, the scene where she Latin danced very badly made me laugh out loud she was so genuinely awful, that girl really has amazing hair!!!

This was probably the first romantic comedy I have watched in over a year. Seeing as how watching Julie & Julia almost put Jacob into some sort of boredom-induced coma and nearly killed him, I purposely watched this during the day while Jacob was at school. I will definitely follow this pattern for when I have my Jane Austen smackdown. More on that later. But, I had really high hopes for this movie! It could have been so much better, but unfortunately it fell a little short. The screenplay needed more strength and the relationships between all the characters didn't really have time to develop. But it was definitely cute and clean, I loved her parents, and it prompted an excellent discussion with Cindy about financial responsibility and ridiculous shoes. Win-win!

p.s. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY MOM!!

1 comment:

Karin said...

We half-watched that on a plane trip...& my daughter who likes shopping liked it. Happy Birthday to your mom!!!! Please send her my love!!!!!