Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Finally, I get to watch something about cross-dressing!

#13- Tootsie
Suggested by Sweeneyville reader Linda Bingham

Okay, when I first asked my mom to borrow some of her movies, she threw in this VHS in the giant bag she gave me and said, "Well, you gotta watch Tootsie!" So I did :)

Tootsie
Overall:
8/10
Deductions: song "It might be you" is in this movie, title constantly made me crave a chocolaty-filled candy sucker
Bonus Points: Bill Murray!

For some reason I thought Dustin Hoffman's character dressed up as a woman to get a job as a news anchor. But it was actually to get a job as an actor on a Soap Opera. Who knew? I think the good thing about this movie is that since it was made back in the 80's, it's a fairly clean movie. If this had been made today, it would have been too easy for it to get very raunchy, I am sure. Dustin Hoffman did an amazing job playing a woman. She wasn't the most feminine thing in the world, but he did it! It was believable and totally convincing. He was actually nominated for Best Actor for that role (Tootsie got 10 noms altogether) but only Jessica Lange got the award for Best Supporting Actress. The only real thing that kind of bothered me about the movie was the ending. I am pretty sure that if someone who you considered to be a very close personal friend turned out suddenly to be of the opposite sex, you wouldn't want to have anything to do with them. It might be a bit awkward, shall we say. That's my take, anyway. Overall the movie was very entertaining and I finally got to see the famous scene of him (her?) wearing the shimmering red dress in front of the American flag. (It was for the cover of The New Yorker, by the way...) So as they sing in the movie, "Roll, Tootsie, Roll!"

No comments: