Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Summer of 1999

Back in 1999, I had an awesome summer. I was home from BYU, I met this guy from Church named Jacob, I was working in Orlando for Marriott with a group of friends doing really easy work that nobody seemed to explain to us, but we got paid just the same anyway- it was basically just awesome. It was turning out to be so awesome in fact, that I decided to complete a certain number of really fun things (think "30 New Experiences" only 20 years earlier) and then make a T-shirt and matching CD Soundtrack and call it my "Summer of Dreams Tour." The shirt listed all the "stops" and cities on the tour (as all good tour shirts do.) The stops were things like going to a Dave Matthews Band Concert, going tubing on a river, going to a baseball game- all the fun things I did back in the summer of 1999. I still have that shirt somewhere around here. I really ought to find it and see just what exactly I did during those months. Anyway, the Soundtrack for that summer was fantastic. In fact, I remember it was actually the first mix CD I ever made. (Thanks to the help of Marriott's computers :) Jacob also burned a copy of that CD for himself that summer too. I still have a copy of it. Here it is in all its glory, complete with album artwork:



And to this day it vividly reminds me of that summer. I confess that after not hearing it for many years, I put it in the car CD player this morning as I drove Cindy to school, and I was smiling the entire time. I had forgotten some of those songs, but the minute I heard them, BAM! I was back in that summer! It is amazing the power that music has when it comes to memories. So what other songs have the power to transport me to a specific place and time? Well, here are a few:

Name by Goo Goo Dolls- Seminary at Sister Butler's house, Sophomore year?
Champaign Supernova by Oasis- Junior Year of High School
Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots- playing girls soccer at Bartow High School stadium
Two Princes by Spin Doctors or Stay by Lisa Loeb- EFY in Atlanta, GA
The Train by Quad City DJs- Senior Year of High School
Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve- the last few days in the dorms at the end of my freshman year at BYU
Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera or Bailamos by Enrique Iglesias- Summer of 1999, working in Orlando
Angels by Robbie Williams- Saltair in Salt Lake City and dancing with Jacob
Here's to the Night by Eve 6- being newly married living in Bountiful, UT
Lazy Days by Enya- going on a helicopter ride in Kauai, Hawaii

Those are just a few songs that take me back. So what songs are your personal time machine and where do they send you? Do any of my songs have meaning to you? Because that would be kind of weird actually. Although, it would be fun to compare notes :)

2 comments:

Mags said...

Some of your picks are very similar to mine....being the same age probably does that. One not on the list that is for me...senior year in high school the entire album of no Doubt. I had that cassette(yes, cassette) playing in my car all the time. Also, Belinda Carlisle, Heaven is a Place on Earth reminds me of Florida when I was little on the bus going to school. Oh and Michael McClean stuff is tied to DeAnne's home. I remember when KaRyn loved that song from the Ark about the raindrops and the women all complaining. Fun song, good memory. Ok, novel done...sorry to be so long.

Linnley Marie said...

Two of your songs are ones that bring back memories for me.
Here's to the Night by Eve 6~ water polo days
Two princes by Spin Doctors~ going on bike rides with my dad in the early summer mornings, and in the winters going to spin classes together

Thats really funny.