Friday, April 3, 2009

Yard, Yard, Bo Bard

So we have been out and about in the yard this week. It is Spring Break for Jacob and Cindy, so in between all of the TV/Movie watching on our new big screen television (the post about that is coming soon...) we found the time to get caught up on some of our outside projects.

First Jacob took a chainsaw and took down the tree in the backyard. This is the picture I took through the living room window (as I watched from a safe location). I was a little worried fingers would be lost and fences would be toppled, but I have to admit, Jacob is incredibly handy and can do most home improvement projects quite well. Plus, we have wanted that tree out of there for a while, so it was nice to finally make progress on accomplishing that goal.

Then I went out and cleaned out the garden. Whoo-hoo!



I finally moved my pineapples from the underworld next to the shed to the front garden box.




I got everything weeded, de-leafed, and ready for planting.



I blessed these sprouts that, Frucious, the patron saint of grape tomatoes, would watch over them and make thier harvest abundant. (Actually, we tried out a hot tip this year concerning tomato plants, and that is to put rotten banana peels about 6 inches under the soil where you plant them. We did it! I hope it works!)

And in this space I finally decided to let Cindy have her own flower garden. A place where if there are flowers, she is allowed to wear her princess dress, pick them and gather them in a basket while singing, as she is prone to do. I scattered about 8 kinds of seeds in there (seriously) so who knows what will come up. Hopefully at least one or two!


And finally, my irises are blooming! I must have done something right in keeping them alive at least a year. They sure are pretty. Too bad they only last a few days. This is definitely my favorite time of year at my house. The leaves have finally stopped falling, we have raked for the last time, the garden is in and all that is left is to take care of it and enjoy it. To me, that is happiness. :)

No comments: