Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Original Mr. Noodle

My post from the other day has inspired me. I was blogging about Cindy's birthday and at the end I had a picture of Cindy in the infamous "Bingham Ball". This is something that my Dad does to the grandkids now, but something he also did to my brothers and I when we were little the oh-so-many years ago. He would scoop us up, hold us real tight, and then go on a long monologue about how we would never escape, it was impossible, we would be there forever, there was no hope of getting out, etc, etc, etc. all the while we were escaping and just absolutely delighting in the fact that we were pulling a fast one on Dad. And then after we escaped, we would taunt Dad with our seemingling impossible feat, only so that we could once again be put back into a Bingham ball and start the whole game over again. Dad would always up the ante too. At first try it was just a Bingham ball. Then it would become the Ultimate, Unescapable Bingham ball. Then it was the Fort Knox Inpenetrable Forcefield Bingham ball of Doom, etc, etc. We loved this game!

And if you have ever seen Elmo's World there is a character on the show called Mr. Noodle. He is just a friend of Elmo and each episode they ask Mr. Noodle a question. Mr. Noodle does not talk, he is kind of like a mime, so everything he does is physcial. Thus, the questions he gets asked are things like, How do you wrap a present? or How do you eat spaghetti?, and things like this, so he can show Elmo and the kids how to do it. However, the schtick with Mr. Noodle is that he does absolutely everything wrong and the kids just laugh their heads off as they try to tell him how to do things the right way. So when he answers the phone he holds it up to his foot, or he lays the opposite direction on the mattress when he is showing them how to go to bed. This concept is totally my dad! He would always do this sort of thing where he did something incorrectly just so we could laugh and correct him. He LOVED to tell us classic stories that were all wrong. And consequently, Cindy's most requested bedtime story now is, and I quote, "The Three Little Pigs and tell it wrong." (I just love saying "Not by the hair on my Chinny Chin Femur" or telling her that the Wolf is actually an IRS agent who is sent to audit the pigs- she seriously gives me the funniest looks, and hey, it keeps me interested too. But I digress...) Oh, and this reminds me about the time about a year ago when we heard about my 16-year-old cousin out in Utah who had just gotten invited by a Senior girl to a very important formal dance. He goes to Bingham High School in West Jordan and the dance was called, and I am not making this up, The Bingham Ball. My family still makes jokes about that. So awesome!!

No comments: