Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Death of Common Sense

The past few days Cindy has been complaining of a sore throat.  Now, since I am one of those parents that pretty much will not take my kid to the doctor unless she is missing an appendage (and even then I'm pretty sure I could find a DIY limb attachment tutorial on Pinterest anyway), I have pretty much just been giving her Vitamin C, a little liquid pain medicine and then yesterday I finally bought her some cough drops to ease her along.  This seems to have given her the relief she needs.  She has no other symptoms and she has been acting like the same, sweet Cindy she always is :)  This morning I sent her to school with a handful of cough drops and as an afterthought I wrote a little note to the teacher, just let her know that I was paying attention to Cindy's sore throat.  Today I got a call from the school nurse telling me that Cindy is not allowed to have "those" cough drops in class and there is only one kind she can have on her at school without a doctor's note.  Today she would give Cindy one of the cough drops from home, but a note would be needed for future use.  Really?  REALLY?  This kind of stuff makes me crazy!  It serves no purpose.  All it does is create drama and make my child feel that suddenly they now have to go to the doctor.  Let's be honest, what would the doctor say?  "Suck on a cough drop.  That will be $60."  I don't want to raise children that go to the doctor first for every minor bruise, cough, twitch and scrape.  This is what WebMD is for, people!  To tell you that you have a terminal illness no matter your symptoms.  Plus, this type of micromanagement on the part of the school is killing all common sense in our children. You know the kind of common sense that says, "Gee, my throat hurts, I think I will suck on some cough drops and take care of my own problem."  Suddenly it's now become "Hmm, I have a sore throat, but I'm probably too stupid to handle the responsibility of a cough drop, so I better ask a doctor if an over-the-counter lozenge made mainly of sugar is safe.  And then I better take a note to my school to prove to them I didn't use my own thinking to come to this decision."  This is the kind of nanny-state crap I do not appreciate from the schools.  Stop underestimating me and my child's intelligence.  I am the parent and I am not a moron.  Let me do my job. No matter what you think of it :)

p.s. I still like Cindy's school and her teachers.  I am not going to yank my kids out to home school them or sign a petition to secede from the Union.   I'm just releasing my inner caps lock for a paragraph or two.

And just for sitting through that rant, I am here to reward you with, what else?  An awesome cat video, courtesy of my friend Sam on Facebook:  Wait for iiiiiiiiit.......

4 comments:

Mags said...

Ok, peppermint hard candies will probably work just as well and not get the nurse in a huff. Plus, you can't blame the school but the law suit happy parents in this day and age who have to blame someone else. Plus, everyone has a horror story. My dad was sent home from school with a fever. He walked home and his fever was well over 100*F and he ended up having polio. That nurse got canned.

The cat video was hilarious!

Linnley Marie said...

I totally agree with you Jessica, sometimes it can be serious, but usually it's just a cold and can be dealt with at home. I come from a family where you never call in sick to work or school even if your throwing up. My dad never called in sick while dealing with kidney stones took him a week of dying pain at work till we finally took him in and had surgery even then was back to work the next day. Unless you are dead there is no reason to go to the doctor or miss your responsibilities.

That cat was awesome. What a jump!! ha ha.

Unknown said...

Funniest cat video in a while, loved it!

Allison said...

Yeah, don't pull your kids out of school. But forward a copy of this post on to the principal or SOMETHING! Parents not speaking up over this ridiculous crap is why their stupid policies stay in place.