Wednesday, November 7, 2012

O Ye Fair Ones

Wow.  Honestly after the results of the election last night I almost have nothing to say.  I would be lying if I told you that I haven't shed some tears over this.  I have been really trying to get a handle on why I am so emotional.  I mean, it's just a stupid election, right?  But as I have examined my thoughts and feelings, I realize that this election wasn't just about my candidate winning and not just about having a Democrat president, but to me it symbolizes where our beliefs are as a country and sadly, where we are headed.  For the first time I feel that the morals, values and principles that founded this country really are becoming a thing of the past.  For the first time I feel that the pride of American exceptionalism will die out over time.  For the first time I feel that America has firmly taken the first steps on the road to serfdom.  And the hardest part to accept is that for the first time I feel that the majority of the country is okay with that.  At the risk making this post too over the top (too late), I echo the thoughts of my Dad this morning.   The only thing we can equate our feelings to is to the experience of Moroni in the Book of Mormon.  I think I finally, genuinely understand what Moroni experienced.  He watched over time as his people fell from righteousness and prosperity to terrible wickedness and Godlessness.  He prayed for them, worried for them, cared about them, tried to lead and guide them, but ultimately in his heart he knew the road they were headed down.  And all he could do was keep the faith :)


Internet cats!  Where are you?  SAVE ME FROM THIS DRAMATIC POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Ahh, that's better :)

3 comments:

Andrew said...

My thoughts exactly. Basically we're on the road to Europe. Large, expensive welfare state and lower standards of living. Not the worst thing in the world --some of my best friends are Europeans ;) but yeah. Sad.

Linnley Marie said...

Couldn't have said it better, both with the post as well as the cats :)

Unknown said...

I cried for awhile too, all for the same reasons. I felt like I should take my "crazy" religious beliefs and find a cave to hang out in. Instead I deleted my FB account, which has had the same effect:)