Saturday, August 21, 2010

Anatomy of a Run

I know I told many of you this story in person, but I need to include this on my blog for my posterity. Future generations need to know how I competed in an indoor triathlon at my local Rec Center last Saturday and how during the swim, which was last (thank goodness), the guy in the lane next to me threw up while swimming, thus effectively shutting down the pool for the next 8 hours and pretty much ruining the triathlon. I even got to see him upchucking over the side of the pool. Rookies, sheesh! Anyway, I did get to do the bike and run portion, which were on a stationary fancy-pants bike and a treadmill, respectively. I got to be on each for 20 minutes to see how much distance I could cover. And whattayaknow?! I came in FIRST overall for the ladies! Can I get a woot woot!? Thanks :)

In a related story, I ran around Lake Hollingsworth the other night and I thought I would share with you some of the thoughts that go through my mind during those thirty minutes or so. It usually goes something like this....

Minute 1: I got this, no problem.
Minute 2: Eyes on the prize, Sweeney. Pace yourself...
Minute 4: This was the dumbest idea I've ever had.
Minute 7: Seriously, I could be home watching Spongebob right now
Minute 9: I think that guy was checking me out....
Minute 11: I seriously can't breathe and my chest is going to explode.
Minute 12: I'm 99% sure my chest is going to explode.
Minute 15: How on earth have I ever run arond this entire lake without stopping?
Minute 17: I wonder where that lady got those roller blades...
Minute 18: Wow, I gotta be faster than that 80-year-old man with a walker, run like you mean it, Sweeney!
Minute 20: Backstreet Boys remix? Oh, it's ON!
Minute 21: I should run a half marathon someday!!!
Minute 22: I should run a half marathon tomorrow!!
Minute 25: Sprint to the end! Work it, Sweeney!!
Minute 27: VICTORY!
Minute 30: Okay, I'm glad I did that :) Now I'll watch some Spongebob...

1 comment:

Mags said...

#4-#18 would be going through my mind if I ran that lake now. I do remember in my college years at FSC sprinting the last part too. That part was so invigorating.