Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Right to Remain Seated

On Friday night I had the opportunity to take my kids to see the latest Chick-a-munk movie. You know, Alvin, Simon, Theodore; "the Squeakquel"? It was playing at the dollar theater (or 3 dollar theater as the case may be). So while Jacob was at his Elder's Quorum activity playing Xbox and slaughtering people, I was sitting in the theater trying to stay conscious. I barely made it. Cindy, however, was literally biting her nails and on the edge of her seat as Alvin and the Chippettes desperately tried to escape their evil manager and make it to the High School Sing-off to win $25,000. On a remote control helicopter. It was kind of like a documentary. Anyway, my parents joined me for this cinematic delight and at the end when the credits rolled- we didn't move. Nope, it is Bingham tradition that you wait until the last name, song, and final scene that all the other impatient movie losers didn't get to see, is over. (Ha ha, suckers!) Ever since I can remember going to the movies, we've stayed til the bitter end. "Bitter end" meaning "til the theater employees are planning ways to vandalize your car because you are preventing them from cleaning up." AND, what makes it ever better is looking at all the names that scroll up the screen to find the first names of those in your immediate family. Then the person whose name is seen the most times during the credits is the winner. David was tonight's winner by a long shot. There must have been about 30 David's that worked on that flick (and each one of them needs to be severely flogged). I also learned tonight that my parents have never seen the name Sadie (the name of my niece) in the credits of a film they have seen at the theater. I guess all the Sadie's of the world are just not old enough yet to have a job in the movies. So next time you head to the theater, check the credits. There's always some good stuff waiting to reward those who are patient. (Or those who are sitting there because they need some time to wake up before operating a motor vehicle. Not that I personally would know anything about that. I never sleep during movies :)

3 comments:

Mags said...

I have to say.....sometimes staying has it's rewards in blooper outtakes. I love that part!!

Molly said...

ha ha. Now I know why Chris will never let me leave early!! And we have never seen Sadie's name either...she is sadden my this and thinks I have cursed her with a horrible name!

Jen said...

This led me to do a Sadie search in IMDB... the Sadies are not makin' the best movies as of yet. Grips and all.