Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Don't Worry, It's Like Riding a Bicycle...

You mean it's really uncomfortable, physically draining and almost impossible to pedal uphill? Yeah, that is what that common phrase forgets to mention about biking. As you may have guessed, I have been doing some more biking in preparation for the tri in October. I have realized that the biking part is alot more complicated than it sounds. I was thinking that if you can ride a bike, you can do this part, no problem, right? But actually, there is a lot more to think about. It is very hard to gauge your speed on the bike. Since I have to do 12 miles, and I need it to take about 45 minutes, I need to be going about 15mph. Can anyone tell how many miles per hour you are going on a bike? I for sure cannot, so tomorrow's agenda includes a trip to Wham-tart to find a spedometer. I am actually afraid of getting one because I don't want to hook it up and realize I have been biking at a speed of nowhere near 15mph and then wish I was dead. Add to this the fact that I am indeed using my purple Huffy mountain bike I got for my 12th birthday for this race. Yup, this is the valiant steed I will ride in on. However, the goal is to finish, not to win, so you use what you got. Unless you have sponsors, and then you have a bike that costs more than a car. But I digress... It is going to be a long road to October 11- but hopefully I will be on it going a heck of a lot faster than 12mph.

No comments: