Friday, August 22, 2008

Big Lots! = Big FUN



So I am sure most you have been in a Big Lots! store before. Much like the dollar store, you can find almost anything you need there, and tons of stuff you absolutely never ever will, at a pretty good price. My last adventure to Big Lots! got me some Cow Shoes for Luke- these are not actually real shoes, but more like a soft pleather with elastic around the top. I was in a pinch and just needed something to cover Luke's feet and prevent ant bites- so for $5 I ended up with these little shoes that have a face, ears, and the phrase "Got Milk?" printed on the bottom. Normal- No. Normal for Big Lots? YES. But, they totally worked, much better than I even thought- and Luke is now in LOVE with them. He hates taking them off. (And you would be astounded at the amount of compliments we get on them!) However, recently we lost one of the cow shoes and I can't function without them. They are the perfect quick-on, quick-off shoe. Short of going hiking in the mountains, they can and do go anywhere. So I returned to Big Lots! (never forget that exclamation point- very important) today in search of a replacement pair and after I successfully completed that task, I went to my absolute favorite part of the Big Lots! store. The Food Section. Or should I say, Off-brand Food Heaven. I love those aisles! They are filled with the most bizarre food you can find. Even worse than the dollar store. They have Canned Shrimp Paste, and Ahi Tuna in little tiny vacuum sealed bags and, dry roasted Edamame soy beans, Jeff Foxworthy Beef Jerky, Coffee flavored soda pop- today they even had boxes of pancake, muffin and baking mix made by Lehi Roller Mills in Utah, complete with the picture of the mill on the front! I also liked the U Bet! Chocolate Syrup (that looked like it was made in 1985) and the entire pallet of American Idol Pop Tarts they were trying to get rid of. Classic. So next time you head to Big Lots! be prepared for Big Fun in the food aisle. Post what you find on your own blog, I would love to see what else is out there. I should have bought some of that coffee soda, though, these roasted soy beans are making me thirsty.

1 comment:

Kt said...

I never forget the exclamation point! Rhode Island has it's very own version of Big Lots!: Ocean State Job Lot. My dad lives there. It's the perfect place to go when you need to pick up some mango-kumquat jelly, four different kinds of pickles, nail polish from 1986, and a utility knife.