Monday, August 11, 2008

Around the Yard

Here are some pictures from around my yard, just to give you an idea of what is happening out there (because you know you are just going to die if you don't know what is going on in my yard...). First we have the bromeliads that are blooming right now. Very pretty looking. Seems that this is happening earlier this year, but I can't really verify that.



Next we have this beastly area by the front door. It is totally overgrown and I am hoping to remove all these plants over the winter. I want to replace them with peace lillies, although, they are not good in any type of frost situation, so you have to be careful. Jacob is looking to create a palm corner of the backyard with tons of palms and stuff, so I think I will transplant this whole area somewhere in the back.



My once robust tomato plant is now just about dead, but amazingly it still has two last juicy looking tomatoes on it that I am just waiting to eat. Yummy!



I just have to say how amazing banana palms are. After a banana palm produces bananas it dies and then two new baby banana palms sprout up next to it. That is why you see those giant bunches of banana palms in Florida. So here is our dead palm stock on the ground and you can see the new baby palms coming in. Then our other front banana palm just started growing bananas so it is only a matter of time before it bites the dust.


















And here is my total NEMESIS: The backyard. I just went to Lowe's and bought some weed killer that you hook up to your hose and just doused this entire area of the yard. I want to kille everything- it is so weedy and buggy and nasty back there. I am thinking of just doing the whole backyard in sand. Just like the beach. How cool. No, seriously, I want pavers or something, but it is just ridiculous. I can't spend 40 minutes on a Saturday mowing weeds. It is so wrong!



And here is the picture that Cindy took of the morning glory that was open. :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just read the last post - I went back through the archives to read from the beginning when you gave me the link, only I had a bunch of stuff to do and shifts to work for a minute but tonight I got back to it and read (aren't you glad you got the play by play instead of just "I read your blog") - anywho,...
I would consider myself an avid fan. :-) You have a talent for writing, Jessica, and that great Bingham endowment of humor - very enjoyable indeed. I will say it again, you must compile everything and make a book one day, family humor, daily living, it will be extra spending cash for you and a nice fresh of breath air for everyone else. :-)

Jen said...

Dude. I'm so glad my back yard is cement. That looks like a lot of work. It is all very lush and green though!