Sunday, August 26, 2012

Son of a Mannerless Goat


I forgot to mention that my regular 3 mile run on Friday actually turned out to be a 4 mile run with a bonus goat rescue!  (I love the word goat, by the way.  It's one of my favorites.)  I was on my run and while going down Harrell's Nursery road I was flagged down by a tiny Asian woman, Ophelia, and she was very nervous about a goat that had gotten his head and horns stuck in the fence.  Now, I know that upon first meeting me you immediately think, She obviously knows a thing or two about goats, but truth be told, I am a goat wranglin' rookie.  But I figured, how hard can it be to get an animal to turn its head 90 degrees?  A lot harder than it looked, Spanky!  The combined efforts of me and Ophelia did nothing.  Poor goat was apparently deaf too because I kept yelling "Turn your head and free yourself, you weirdo!" but he didn't respond.  I decided to finish my run and then return to the goat field on my way back to my house to see if a miracle occurred and the goat had been teleported out of the fence.  Nope, he was stuck as ever and now bleating in the most pathetic and pitiful manner imaginable.  I tried and tried to just grab that goat by the horns and shove him through, but he would not have it!  Finally, a minivan pulled over and a woman and her teenage son joined my efforts.  With a little bending of the fence wire and whole lotta goat cajolin' we got that critter free.  He ran away and didn't even say thank you.  Was he raised in a barn?!?  But then the good Samaritan and I did a silent fistbump and I went on with my day like I didn't just save a goat's life.  But I did.  And I'm pretty sure there are some sweet heavenly rewards for that...

No comments: