Saturday, August 4, 2012

2012 Roadies Vol. 2

So after we made it to the Utah, another whole adventure began...

Best Looking Group of City Slickers:  Us!



All the brothers and their wives got to go horseback riding once again during the reunion.  Sean was on his mission last time we did this, so he finally got to be there for every exciting moment of horse flatulence, all the brothers making fun of each other, watching my horse veer off the path every 7 seconds to find something to snack on, the amazing views of Bryce Canyon- it was awesome to get to do this all together :)  Tara also gets an honorable mention for looking completely adorable at all times during this adventure.



Best Name for a Horse:  "Jet Blue Angel St. Petersburg"

Most of us gave a new name to the horse we got paired with on the trip.  That beauty was the name that Nathan chose for his horse.  He is always so creative.  I get an honorable mention for my horse, who was at first Lando, then Nathan changed his name to Zig Zag (based on his wandering tendencies) but I preferred "Trailblazer" in the end.  He was a horse that was lead by his stomach- and I totally respect that.


Best Moment of Instant Regret:  Me, on the ATV with Jacob




I went on the ATVs with the kids a few times but I kept wanting to go on an ATV ride with Jacob.  And then after 4 seconds on the back of one with him driving, I remembered what happened when we went jet skiing and was sure I was either going to die or throw up all over his back.  He has a need for speed, I have a need for not getting killed.  So it was a white-knuckle ride for about 8 minutes, but hey, at the end I was smiling, right?


Best Star Wars Reference:  Luke and the crossbow



Jacob's Uncle Jason brought his crossbow and let everyone shoot it.  When he first got it out and everyone started to gather around to watch, Luke was distracted and playing with his cousins.  But finally he made his way over to see what the big deal was and when he saw the crossbow he screamed out real loud, "Hey Cindy!!  Come look!! They're shooting a Chewy gun!!!"   So feel free to call a crossbow a "Chewy gun" like us from now on.  If you don't get this reference, you have my pity.

Best Unexplainable Picture I took:



No, seriously, I can't explain it.



Creepiest Guy in Panguitch:




Luke didn't have much better luck facing this guy either:


Oh, I LOVE this picture :)  The entire trip was worth it for this one moment.  It is impossible for me to be sad when I look at it.


Best Photobomb by a Dirty Sock:


This pretty much sums up my life with Cindy and taking pictures.  *Sigh*


Most impregnable fortress of penal security:  Panguitch City Jail



There's a lot of criminals running around this town because of this....


Best Twilight Zone Moment:


During our quick trip to the new City Creek Mall in downtown Salt Lake (which was INCREDIBLE) we were in a toy store looking around.  Cindy happened upon the game "Hot Potato" which she owns.  It comes with a little soft potato that sings a very annoying song when you squish it.  Cindy pressed it about 3 times right there in the store, and we weren't the only Mom thinking it was a little too much.  There was a woman there with her kids and right after we told Cindy, "Okay, that's enough of the potato" the woman remarked,  "That thing would be great for a long road trip.  To Florida!  Hahahahahaha!"   I was totally freaked out by this comment simply because I thought maybe it was someone I knew who was trying to jog my memory or something, but she just walked away.  It was bizarre.....


Best "Utah" Comments:


I only have two this time, but they still make me laugh:

From the guy teaching Sunday School in DeAnne's ward:  "My Mom is sooo Mormon.  It's a good thing she didn't end up a Muslim, because she would have blown herself up by now."

When I took Cindy to find her Primary class in DeAnne's ward, I found a classroom with a teacher and children and asked, "Is this the 8-year-olds class?"  He answered, "Well, this is one of the classes.  There are three."   Face-palm.


Best BYU Shirt:  




Okay, just ignore the sombrero and crazy eyes.  I know, if you had a nickel for every time you heard THAT one....  Each time I go to Utah, I always buy a new BYU shirt while I am there.  Because of limited time, this year I was pretty sure I wouldn't have the chance to buy one.  But alas! The West Jordan Wal-Mart saved me and I found this awesome shirt for $11.97 the day before we left.  Didn't even try it on!  It was my density :)


A few of the more regular category awards....

Best Hotel:  Atlanta Residence Inn
It was right by a pond, it had great beds, and even a fireplace that the kids used to warm themselves after they showered because it was soooo chilly.  And their free breakfast was fantastic.  Highly recommended.

Worst Drivers: Arkansas
Not really impressed with that state in general :)


Prettiest City:  Chattanooga or Birmingham



This is Chattanooga- we stopped for ice cream and to walk across a quasi-famous pedestrian bridge.  We also had dinner there at a pretty good little diner.  It's very picturesque, very well-landscaped and quaint.


Best Dessert We Ate:  Sammy's Famous Pie Shakes in Provo
How can you resist a place that makes a shake by shoving a whole piece of pie into it?  You. Can't.  So we had the banana cream pie and the coconut cream pie.  Totally delicious!
Honorable mentions:  Brooke's peach pie, Braum's candy bar sundae, Burger King Bacon sundae (yes, we had it, yes it is fantastic.)

Best Burger:  Red Robin Banzai Burger
I just wanted to mention that even though they are chain restaurant and a common place to eat, I still think their Banzai burger is one the best burgers I have ever had.  I am never let down by it.  And bottomless fries? Fuhgettaboutit!


Best Vanity Plate:  I KAN D
Enough said.  I will be getting this for Jacob :)



Best "Days" Celebration:   "Butch Cassidy" Days,  Beaver, Utah
As we drove up from Panguitch to Salt Lake, we passed through infinity teeny, tiny towns in Utah.  And each one had a sign up advertising their "days" festival that was going on that weekend.  Pioneer Day weekend is HUGE out there! Go Figure.  So we saw signs for Lamb Days, Melon Days, Fiesta Days, Draper Days, Handcart Days, Shoehorn Days- just kidding, not Fiesta days.  Okay, really, not Shoehorn days, but Beaver wins hands down.  Nothing is cooler than Butch Cassidy.


Best Family Reunion Moment:  Cousin Chase


Two mornings at the reunion we all gathered in the motel restaurant for breakfast.  It was quickly learned that if you were late, your seating assignment might be less than desirable.  Jacob's cousin Chase learned this the really hard way and ended up at the "kids table" the first morning.  We gave him a little grief about this. Okay we gave him a LOT of grief, but he is 24 years old.  We knew he was probably going to be tortured by our children, but it was too fun to not throw him a lifeline and let him suffer a little. Finally, when the food arrived, I went over to the table to cut up Cindy and Luke's pancakes.  I jokingly asked Chase, "Would you like me cut up yours too?" To which he replied, "Actually that would be fantastic.  I think the kids took my knife."
















1 comment:

Mags said...

These were funny enough that I had to read them to Zeke. I enjoyed the 'Utah' comments and he loved the Chewy gun.