Saturday, June 9, 2012

Drying Out

So last night was the big US World Cup Soccer Qualifier game over in Tampa.  Let me just say that it's a good thing Jacob and I don't do this kind of thing very often because it was a lot of work.  We spent about four and a half total hours in the car battling traffic and parking and only 90 minutes in the stadium for the actual game.  And it rained pretty much the entire time.  But greater love hath no husband that he who lets his wife wear the one poncho we have :)  So it was definitely a little stressful getting there, and wet and crazy and crowded inside, but fun to finally see the Men's National Team in person.  Our seats were really decent and I had a pretty good view of Carlos Bocanegra during the first half, so I wasn't complaining.  As far as the outcome of the game, yes, we won 3-1, but when you consider we were playing Antigua & Barbuda - a country with a population of 87,000 - we should have obliterated them off of planet earth.  Our offense won the award for "Most unnecessary passes inside the 18."  It was ridiculous how many shots we were not taking from further out.  I mean, it's raining! It'slick and wet - you will probably get a few in out of sheer luck!  It was incredibly frustrating that we only wanted to score from 5 feet away or less.  But I guess a win's a win so on to playing Guatemala and probably losing unless we emerge from our offensive coma.

A few pictures from my lame camera with the worst zoom feature ever....

Don't look too long or you will find Waldo about 6 times....

We were soaked!  Okay, Jacob was soaked, I just had wet hair and looked like I drowned.


Ponchos ahoy!

I also have some really grainy video of Clint Dempsey scoring on his PK right in front of us.  One day I will show that to you.  But for now I will end with this story:

There were two very drunk guys (no way!) sitting right over from us and by the end of the game one of them came over to chat up the security guy standing right behind us.  In his slurred language he was asking him about why he only checks certain people's tickets and others he doesn't.  He then says, "I mean, how do you know that all these guys right here aren't totally sneaking in to these seats?"   (He is referring to the row we were sitting in)  Right then Jacob turns around to look at the guy and then he says, "Well, except for that guy, he looks really angry."   Awesome.  Jacob has that effect on people, you know? :)

1 comment:

Mags said...

This was a funny post. From the Where's Waldo all the way to Jacob glaring at a drunk guy, all funny. I did feel bad for you guys and the traffic. Way back when I was there, they were redoing that freeway to Tampa. I guess they didn't plan too well.