Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Masters of Disguise

Is it just me or do you also find it totally ridiculous that in certain movies or television shows there are characters that are able to completely hide thier "secret identities" with only a single pair of glasses or a just a wig? I say this in light of the fact that I recently learned the plot of Hannah Montana (were you like me in thinking that there was none?) Well, turns out that she is a regular school girl by day, super rockstar by night and none of her friends are the wiser. AND she accomplishes all of this super secretness by putting on some makeup and a blonde wig. Really? I'm sorry, but deep down I have had a problem with plot lines such as this since Superman.






Don't get me wrong, I love Superman. In fact, the latest movie, Superman Returns, is honestly one of my favorite films. But I just can't really accept that he is able to completely disguise even his resemblence to Superman with just a goofy persona, Buddy Holly glasses and parting his hair on the other side of his head. I mean, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen ARE REPORTERS for crying out loud!! They, of all people, should be able to put two and two together. At least Batman and Spiderman have masks...


The TV showBosom Buddies is yet another offender in this catergory. You're telling me that these two guys are passing as women and no one knows? I know that now a days this scenario has a way better chance of being pulled off successfully (thanks to huge advances in the field of man-scaping), but considering this was the 80's and looking at just how horrible their outfits really were, there is not a chance this was any where near reality.








Now, having said all this, I do understand that television shows and movies are about susupending belief for the sake of entertainment. (And Bosom Buddies and Superman Returns are both highly entertaining!) It's just that sometimes we have to work a little harder at said susupension.

I hear there is a new superhero in town, anyway. I am not sure who she is, but they did get this one picture of her. She looks vaguely familiar, but I just can't put my finger on it right now. It will come to me eventually...

No comments: