Monday, February 2, 2009

Experience #1- Sew Something Without a Pattern


A few weeks back in church, my amazing friend, Karin, spoke of how she was able to sew a skirt without a pattern. She mentioned that it was her grandmother who had this talent and she wanted to emulate it. (Karin also happened to be wearing the skirt she had made without the pattern at the time and I was totally impressed.) So it is now my wish to emulate Karin on this one. This experience is the one I mentioned I had cheated on earlier in the blog, because I completed this one about 3 Saturday's ago (way before my actual birthday) when Jacob was helping someone move and I was waiting for him to come home. I thought that the one thing I might be able to sew without a pattern was an apron. And who better to appreciate this than Cindy?! So I took some material I had left over from a skirt I was/am still making and just began to sew, willy nilly, without a pattern. And I have to say that it turned out completely wearable! I even added a velcro neck strap AND two pockets! The added bonus is that Cindy does actually wear this and enjoy it. I was rather proud of myself, but I am not sure what other non-pattern items I dare construct past this point. Unless you need a placemat or two- I think I could hold my own on that one. So officially it is one experience down and 29 to go!

(Oh and after I took this picture, Cindy very oddly insisted that I take another picture of her in her outfit- go figure! So here it is...)

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I am highly impressed. But my sewing skills are terrible! I tried to sew an apron for Hannah without a pattern and it isn't so pretty! Hannah loves Cindy's room and and all of her Barbie stuff and her cute pink sunglasses! She wants to know why SHE can't have a room like Cindy's! :) Because her parents aren't as nice as Cindy's that's why! :)