Tuesday, February 10, 2009

An Experiment

I am sure you have all seen stories on talk shows or on the news about people who are so ultra-frugal that they spend $5/month on groceries and have an electric bill of about 12 cents. While I do my best to be thrifty and stay within my budget, I have never achieved results such as these. However, for the next month I am going to really try on that electric bill. I just figured out that our billing cycle either did just flip over or will flip over any day now so I have alerted Jacob that for the next 30 days we are in energy-saving mode. I am totally curious to see just how much our bill would go down if we would just be more aware. So the only things I am really doing different are making sure that lights are turned off when we are not in the room, trying to be a little better about not pre-heating the oven so long (when not necessary) or forgetting to turn it off, for that matter. I am going to try and lower our hot water heater temp a few degrees, make sure Cindy's light doesn't stay on all day, as it usually does. The same goes for the outside house lights. I did unplug a few things in the kitchen that don't get used all the time and I did turn off the powerstrip to the second computer in the TV room. Anyway, give me a month and I will tell you if any of it was worth it. And yes, I am writing this in the dark. :)

1 comment:

Chris said...

Energy efficient lighting is a great money saver, too! Initially it costs money for the bulbs, of course, but eventually you will definitely notice a change in your monthly energy bill. Drafty doors/windows/air ducts will cause you to loose more money that your lights possible could. Just some thoughts...