Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Magical World of Armadillos

Just what you were hoping for this afternoon, wasn't it?  Yesterday morning we had a surprise visitor in the backyard.  No, not Vernon, the crazy drifter who lives in our backyard shed.  It was an armadillo!  Which I think makes the first time we have really had one of these guys visit.   Not sure if he partied too hard last night or his GPS was on the fritz, but for some reason he ended up in our yard digging after the sun came up.  Even though I am normally an unceasing fountain of knowledge when it comes to Floridian critters, I had to do a little brushing up on my armadillo factoids.  I was not aware of this, but armadillo is a Spanish word meaning "potato bug rat."  Armadillos are mammals that have poor eyesight, yet a keen sense of smell and long claws that allows them to forage for bugs, beetles, and ants, as well as dig holes in people's yards that they will one day almost fall into and break their ankles when they mow their yard.  Which alerts me to the fact that I owe Rosa a huge apology.  I see now that it was not her that was turning my backyard into a wiffle ball.  It was most likely this guy:

image

Wow, these things are really quite strange if you stare at them for more than five seconds.







The kids went out to get as close to it as they could and almost ended up touching it.  Armadillos are not so bright.  And apparently I am not so bright either, as I have zero video or pictorial evidence to show you of this adventure.  But if this guy is living in my backyard, perhaps he will make an appearance again sometime soon and I will be ready with the camera.

And talk about timing, but did you know that an armadillo has just been chosen as the official mascot of the 2014 FIFA World Cup?  Shut my mouth and slap your grandma!  (And then tell her I said sorry.)

image
The World Cup is going to be hosted by Brasil in Rio de Janiero.  I wouldn't have thought the armadillo and Rio had that much in common, but I guess since armadillos kind of already have the soccer ball pattern imprinted on their head shells, it was a no-brainer.  (Just like armadillos themselves!!!)

And here is a species of armadillo that you will probably think I am making up.  Behold, the Pink Fairy Armadillo!

image
What. The. Heck.  It seriously looks like something I drew in 3rd grade when I was asked to create my own new animal.  And if that one wasn't good enough for you.... (It never is with you, is it?)


Screaming Hairy Armadillo, anyone? I am not making this up either.  It is totally real!  It is on the Internet, what more proof do you need?

File:Chaetophractus vellerosus3.jpg
image


And finally, I looked up a spiffy "How To Draw An Armadillo" tutorial, and here is my best effort in Microsoft Paint.  I call it  "Hillbilly Speed Bump."  Luke would be so proud of me :)







No comments: