Monday, December 28, 2009

Feast your eyes on this!

I did want to mention that before my brother Brian left for BYU yesterday, he took some time out last Sunday to demonstrate his mad Spanish cooking skills that he brought home from his two-year Church mission to Bilbao, Spain. Here is a pic of the spread:



The Spanish Tortilla is surprisingly not made of any flour- I was expecting like a quesadilla thing, but it is actually made of potato, egg, veggies, etc. and resembles and tastes like an omelet. The empanada is like little sandwiches that are eaten cold. These were made with canned tuna- a very popular staple in Spain apparently and veggies. Of course we followed the 5th most important rule of parenthood with Cindy, which is to tell your kids that every meat they encounter is chicken, so she ate three of the sandwiches no problem. We had some paella, which really was chicken with yellow rice. And the cheese over there was awesome! Jacob and I are pretty much alone in our principles on that one, however. The rest of the fam thought it was WAY too pungent for consumption. More for us! Then on Christmas day I had two kinds of Teron? (I have googled that word relentlessly for its correct spelling and get nothing!!) which is essentially like Spanish Peanut Brittle. I had both the peanut and the almond. Peanut is better. And then also I had some Feos! Which are little meringue-type cookies with almonds. Feo means ugly in Spanish, and the cookies were pretty homely, I'll admit. Anyway, it was all very tasty, yet weird to think this kind of stuff was what kept Brian alive for the past two years. The Church must be true! And I, of course, have pics of me eating the teron, but again, they are on Brian's camera and we will all probably never see them ever again. Sigh...

And now, a related Cindy quickie....

Cindy was sick all last week. Fever, occasional throw up, bad attitude- you get it. The other night she was panicking because she felt like she was gonna hurl. I told her that it was okay, everyone throws up and you just get through it and feel better. She then told me that the worst part of throwing up is the taste in her mouth. She said, "It tastes really bad, kinda like that cheese that Uncle Brian got in Spain." That's the cool thing about being 5 years old- you call it like you see it.

1 comment:

Mike said...

The candy is called 'turron' and the almond is better than the peanut, seriously.