Wednesday, January 7, 2009

If it's the Thought that Counts, What Were They Thinking?

So my Dad works for the County and every year leading up to Thanksgiving they have a food drive to help needy families. My Dad is actually in charge of distributing the collection boxes, advertising the drive, collecting the food and distributing it. Well, by County decree they are not allowed to distribute any expired food. So if it is in a can and the 'best by' date on the bottom has come and gone, even if by a little, it is unusable. Except for food storage moochers like me!! :) My dad always calls me when he has the duty of disposing of such food. I am no respector of expiration dates, let me tell you! When the lights go out and the trucks stop running (as the phrase goes) I would be happy to eat expired food. I picked up the latest goodies last night and just sorted through the veritable cornucopia of canned delights. Now remember, all this food was donated by people to give to people who are in need for Thanksgiving. Let me take you on a tour of what our fellow citizens felt inclined to bestow upon the disadvantaged:

Dehydrated Raspberry Applesauce Mix- I have never even heard of such a thing....



3 cans of clams, Oyster Stew and some Keta Salmon (I am so not buying cat food for like a month)



I was unaware Campbell's even made these two varieties of soup:
Tomato Noodle (expired in 2003- JUMBO SIZE. It makes a disgusting slurping, sucking noise when you tip it over) and Tomato Soup with pieces of Tomato (low Sodium, of course)



And my favorite thing about all this food is the brand "names" on the can. Such as...Faraon brand Frijoles Negros, Aunt Nellie's gravy, Nobility grapefruit segments and Iberia brand Pigeon Peas. (Ironically, I bought a can of pigeon peas last week and ate them in a salad, never heard of them before that point. Apparently they are the carribbean's favorite pea!)



And here is a treat- Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup with Sarah Hughes on the label! Yes, she is the figure skating gold medalist from 2002. Hate for her story to go to waste.



And oddly, 3 jars of this Spice Rub- but I thought spice rub was supposed to be dry?? All three jars are like a giant ball of tar. Nothing says Happy Thanksgiving like a jar of tar.



Not all the food was this bizzare, I am happily walking away with many cans of soup, broth, veggies, etc. that expired in late 2008, so they are perfectly fine. Besides, most of this I will feed to my children and their unrefined palates, anyway. I have already convinced Cindy that all meat is Chicken so the oyster stew should go down just fine.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Wicked funny! Your posts crack me up.

Jen said...

CLAM DIP!

p.s. I really don't think cans are supposed to make slurping, sloshing noises. Stand back when you open that baby.

badabinghams said...

ok, the rub worries my a little. However the other stuff is spectacular! You like the use of that word right....common you know you do.

Corbin and Amy said...

You have an amazing food storage:) I would be most excited about eating the oyster stew!!! Yummy haha