Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Experience #4- Place in a Running Competition

This experience was totally not planned, but I cannot overlook it! My friend Susie and I ran the Strawberry Distance Challenge 5K in Plant City way back on Valentine's Day. (Thanks Susie for doing this with me!!) I saw this race on the Lakeland Runner's Club website and thought it would be a new challenge and anything remotely local is always a plus. Anyway, to make a long story short, I ended up with a time of 28:54 and it was good enough on this occasion to get me 3rd place for my age group! I was really only hoping for a time of under 30 minutes- something I have never done for a timed race- but when I rounded the corner for the finish line and saw that I could possibly be in the 28 minute range, I hustled my little behind to the end. Feel the burn! I guess training around here in my neighborhood with lots of hills and inclines has reallly helped me improve my time on the flat courses. So I walked away with a shirt, a medal, and a tummy full of as many strawberries as I could eat, which I think was about 22 or so. That could be the real reason I chose that particular race... The official race website took FOREVER to post the pictures of all the winners on it, which is why this blog post is very late in coming. Anyway, this really does go to show you that if even I, the worst runner in the world, can learn to be half-decent- so can YOU :)

Me and my biggest fan :)

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love that he's eatting your medal. No, I'm pretty sure I can't start running without you or our former trainer, Heylamar.

Chris said...

Wow, how do you find time to run marathons!?! I'm so impressed.