Saturday, March 7, 2009

Experience #3- Make French Toast that Doesn't Suck

This has been a life-long goal, really. You all know that I love breakfast. Hands-down it is my favorite meal of the day. And not only do I love eating it, I love making it. But the one breakfast food that I have never been able to make very well is French Toast. It just never turns out very good. My main obstacles have always been the soggy middle, the bland flavor, the super heaviness of the bread. It just is not desirable in any way. I want to be able to make French Toast that tastes like what I get at Denny's, who I think has the best french toast in the world- it is light, it has crisp edges, and it is never heavy or soggy in the middle. So I decided to go straight to the source. I Googled and found the recipe for Denny's French Toast (written by a former Denny's cook, of course) and yesterday morning I busted out the griddle for some sweet breakfast action. And ultimately, I did it! I made French Toast that didn't suck! (I will admit that it was not exactly perfect- I think I had the griddle set a little too hot for a tad too much browning), but the batter recipe is spot-on and I will use it everytime from now until forever.

So without further ado, here is the recipe that made this wonderful moment possible: (I'm getting a little misty-eyed even as I type...)

Denny's® Fabulous French Toast
------by Todd Wilbur

This popular breakfast choice at America's number one diner chain takes center stage on the cover of the menu. Three thick slices of bread are dipped in a slightly sweet egg batter, browned to perfection and served up with a dusting of powdered sugar, butter and maple syrup on the side. Find the thick-sliced Texas toast bread in your bakery, or use any white bread that's sliced around 3/4-inch thick. This recipe will make enough for two servings of three slices each, and it's the perfect recipe for waking up a sweetie on Valentine's morn.

4 eggs
2/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 slices thick bread (such as Texas toast)
3 tablespoons butter

Garnish
powdered sugar
butter

On the side
maple syrup
French toast test kitchen.

1. Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
2. Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium/low heat. When the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of butter. If butter smokes, your pan is too hot, turn down the heat.
3. Drop each bread slice into the batter for about 30 seconds per side. Let some of the batter drip off then drop the bread into the buttered pan. Cook each battered bread slice for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Add more butter to the pan as needed to cook all the french toast.
4. Serve three slices of french toast per plate. Dust each serving with a little powdered sugar (tap it through a strainer), with some maple syrup on the side.

Makes 2 servings

P.S. Thank You to my Mom who found me the Texas Toast and even delivered it to my house :)

No comments: