Friday, September 5, 2014

My Official Review of Guardians of The Galaxy

I honestly wasn't planning on seeing this movie in the theater, but after so many of my friends and family were praising this movie on Facebook, I thought it would be worth a shot.  Here is my takeaway...

CONS

  1. The plot was a mess.  Way too many alien species, planets, villains, backstories that weren't explained- I was lost for pretty much the entire first half of the movie.
  2. If you hate CGI, this is not the movie for you.
  3. People are kind of comparing this movie to Star Wars. I will give you the Han Solo-esqueness of Chris Pratt and the fact that it takes place in space, but other than that, not even close.  
  4. What was really missing for me was character development.  It seemed like the movie went from five total strangers meeting for the first time (and hating each other) to declarations of "I will die beside you!" in about six minutes- with no real explanation of why.  
  5. This movie took for-ev-er to get going.
  6. Although this movie has a unique look to it, for all intents and purposes it was a very typical alien/adventure movie.  An object that has infinite power is being sought after by various groups. Reminds me of the Tesseract. Wait, no the Allspark.  No, wait, the One Ring...  
  7. While I appreciated the comic relief that Rocket was supposed to bring to the movie, he was just too snarky and super annoying by the end of the movie.  
  8. I really tried, but it was way too hard to see Zoe Saldana as anything other than a green Uhura. 


PROS
  1. Chris Pratt was awesome in this movie and will no doubt reach megastar status.  He is no Captain America, but he's not a bad looking guy.
  2. I appreciated the fact that they tried to bring some genuine humor to the movie. There were some very funny moments.
  3. I actually think that sequels to this movie will be much better than the original.  Weird.
  4. Groot the tree was not totally lame! Such a surprise. Vin Diesel has found his perfect role.
  5. We saw it in IMAX 3D and it didn't even make me want to throw up!
  6. The soundtrack.  I have been listening to the songs of the soundtrack on Spotify for a few days now. Blue Suede is so under appreciated. 
  7. Lots of previews before the show.  Anyone else excited for the upcoming movie "Interstellar"?  Looks good! 
Ultimately I would have to give this movie a 3 out of 5.  Entertaining, but not quite the complete package.  I will give 37 bonus points for Pratt's solo of "O-o-h Child", but I also must deduct 227 points for Glenn Close's ridiculous future hair and the cameo by Howard the Duck.  

No comments: