Sunday, June 9, 2013

What Day Is It?

Summer has only been official since Thursday, but I am already finding myself losing track of the days.  I haven't blogged since Wednesday! You see?!  I gotta be honest too, this might be one long summer.  My kids have yet to master the art of "entertaining yourself." Darn me for being so fun!  But they want me involved in absolutely everything they do- games, crafts, movies, outside activities, books- and sometimes it can be a little exhausting.  I am flattered they want me around so much and I know there will come a day when they will want anyone BUT me to do stuff with them, but isn't it normal to say to kids "go play" and they will? At least for fifteen minutes?


The last 5 days in pictures:

We painted rocks....



In the time we did this craft, I painted 8 rocks, Cindy painted 6 and Luke managed 1.  Care to guess which one rock is his?





I got a speeding ticket....



My very first one in 18 years of driving.  I would like to say I am really upset or cried about it for hours, but not one tear was shed.  I was basically just annoyed by the whole process.  So I will be sure to pay the ticket on day 29.  In pennies.






Luke started soccer....








I was really on the fence about signing Luke up for soccer, but decided to pull the trigger in the end.  Saturday was his first game and I didn't quite know what to expect.  I thought I would see a lot of standing around, complaining, possibly a lot of Luke watching the other soccer games or him looking at the clouds and deciding what animals they looked like.  But what I ended up getting was a kid that was running, kicking, trapping, and scoring!  (And getting bit by a jillion fire ants within two minutes of being on the field, poor guy.)  I have to say that Luke is very fast and he seems to like to run!  I just got him some new Adidas cleats off eBay that are way to big, but he doesn't care whatsoever and happily wears three pairs of socks to make them a little more snug.  He scored twice and hit the poles twice.  So far, so good!



We planted over 30 sunflowers...


Waiting for sprouts

I told the kids that if they had enough that grew real big they could cut them and sell them at a little stand at the end of our driveway for a dollar a piece.  They are excited about their money making prospects!  And bonus, the sunflowers will also help stave off a zombie invasion :)  Which may be the real reason I wanted to plant those so bad...



Okay, true confession time: I had to lay off the Insanity for a while.  I made it to day 23 doing every workout without fail, however, I finally had to give in the usually pansy advice of "listen to your body."  Mine was saying something to the effect of "If you make me do one more power squat I am going on strike.  And then when you don't wake up tomorrow morning you're gonna feel pretty sorry for pushing me so hard, aren't you?"  Okay, body. You win.  I took a full day off on Wednesday and ran for the first time in three weeks Thursday and Friday. And today I am pretty sure I might die in the next week.  I feel like I am 96 years old! Everything hurts.  If I were to self diagnose I would say I have arthritis, chrondomalacia, a rotator cuff tear, shin splints, osteoporosis, plantar fasciitis, and asthma. And possibly shingles. With a touch of glaucoma. Okay, just kidding on the shingles, I don't even know what those are, but at this point I am not ruling anything out.  So what do we learn from this?  Getting old sucks.  Glad I could bring you this public service announcement.  I am not giving up and throwing in the towel on exercise by any means, but I think I need to take it down a level or two while my body gets used to the abuse.

And finally, you deserve a picture of a rocket cat. You are very welcome.

image

No comments: