Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Official Review of Star Trek Into Darkness


Well, summer movie season is in full swing and you are going to be seeing a lot of movie reviews around here in Sweeneyville.  I mean, Fast and Furious 6, Hatchet 3, Grown Ups 2- I am going to have my work cut out for me!



I was really hoping that Cindy would be writing this review for everyone, but she has it in her head that it would be just for me to make fun of her.  Inconceivable! And mostly untrue!  I only got the idea because when I told her that I needed to write a review of this movie she said, "Here is a review for you; "Star Trek: The WORST MOVIE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!"  For a kid who makes us watch thousands of hours of Barbie movies you would think she would be able to tolerate a little Trek in her life and take one for the team. Sheesh! One day, she is going to be like me and get sucked into it and love it.  One day, Cindy!  But until that day, here is my take on the flick...


Pros
I finally got to see what Sherlock would look like with a haircut and without a scarf
Chris Pine's shockingly blue eyes are still alive and well :)
Spocks bangs looked great
Opening scene pays great homage to the original series.  The Enterprise underwater?!
Contained the best line ever (spoken by Scotty) "I am running!"
It inspired us to watch the Star Trek TOS episode "Space Seed" (first meeting with Kahn) and
realize that Lt. Marla McGivers was the biggest doofus of a character in Trek history.
This movie finally set up the whole "five year mission" of randomly scouring the galaxy just for fun, which leaves tons of room for pretty much anything in future movies.
We got to see the preview for Despicable Me 2 


Cons (or should I say, "Khans."  Hahahahaha! I kill me.)
Klingons not Klingony enough
It made Jacob watch Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Again.
I cried.
Is Peter Weller even allowed to play a character that is not shifty and double-crossing?
Still on the fence about the Tribble scene. It served it's purpose, but felt contrived.


Jacob has now seen the movie twice and I have committed to see it once again when it hits the $3 theater.  Needless to say, we loved it.  However, having just watched the first Star Trek by JJ Abrams, I still think that one comes out the winner between the two.  For the record, Luke saw the movie with us too and his official review was, "It was awesome!!!!"  I actually did watch him a lot during the movie and he was completely sucked into it the entire time. Not one bathroom break or nap or attempt at laying on me to have his back scratched. He was hooked!  Our plan is working out rather nicely....

No comments: