Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Official Review of Man of Steel

WARNING: If want to see this movie before you know what I thought, please go see the movie right now and then read this during the credits to see just how right I am.

First off, I want to say that I had incredibly high expectations for this movie.  If Superman could turn into a trilogy on the same plane as the likes of the Batman trilogy, all would be right with the world.  Well, it's safe to say that all is not right with the world.  I don't want to say that I hated the movie. I didn't. I just needed to lower my expectations. Twenty six levels.  So without further ado...

Pros
The movie had a good overall plot line
Amy Adams was definitely a way less annoying version of Lois Lane as I have heretofore seen.  I need to admit right now that I never liked her character in any of the movies.
It was great to see Kevin Costner again.  I have missed that guy!
No krypyonite
Got to see the preview for Catching Fire
We got to see it in IMAX for less than the price of a regular matineee thanks to the BOGO Fandango code I found on slickdeals.net. Cha-ching!

Cons
It takes for-ev-er for the movie to really get going
There is not very much dialogue for Superman and some of the dialogue in the movie was really cheesy.  ("This is madness!" It kinda sounded like I wrote it. Not good.)
A LOT of sci-fi in this movie.
No genuine humor, zero character development.
Special effects were completely over the top.
Bring some trail mix with you or smuggle in some Subway because it's LONG.  I looked at my phone five times.
No memorable music and sadly, the original Superman theme was no where in sight :(
When all was said and done, it felt like I just watched Battleship- only directed by Michael Bay.  Sigh.

And now here is the biggest puzzler of them all.  Seriously, my puzzler is hurting from this one.

Exhibit A
Henry Cavill as Clark Kent: A young, American farm boy with gorgeous eyes and endless charm.  This picture doesn't really do it justice, but if you watch the film you will understand what I mean.

image

Exhibit B:

Henry Cavil as Superman: A cranky-looking old man who looks like he is 312 years old.  This does not make sense to me.  Perhaps this is the only Superman movie wherein Clark can stay disguised simply by taking off the suit because they really don't look like each other at all.  His Superman is way too serious and his brow never seems to uncrinkle.

image
If I had to sum up this movie in one phrase:  It was like watching two indestructible airplane black boxes fight each other for three hours.   Super-disappointed :(

No comments: