Saturday, December 10, 2011

True Christmas Confessions

I HATE Candy Canes.

And the song "The Christmas Shoes."

And the way the guy says "goose" in the third verse of "Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer."

And actually the whole song of "Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer."

And I don't like fudge.

And it's borderline painful for me to drink hot chocolate that is not reduced calorie or sugar free.

And I absolutely hate it when anyone utters the phrase "Happy Kwanzaa" because we all know that this is a made up "holiday" and there is not one human being on planet earth that celebrates Kwanzaa, let alone celebrates it instead of Christmas.

And secretly, deep down, in my heart of hearts, I hate singing Silent Night at church. Regular people should not sing this song. The song is so beautiful that really only professionals can make it sound like it should. The unskilled simply destroy it.

On the other hand...

I LOVE advent calendars. (Jacob is currently leading our family, 2-0-0-0.)

And never giving Cindy a straight answer about whether or not there is actually a Santa Claus.

And that scene in Elf where he jumps into the Christmas tree to put the star on.

And my yearly quest for a good soccer-themed Christmas ornament and adding it to my collection.

And getting my yearly ornament from the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. Yukpa, Nitak Hollo Chito!

And taking two weeks to decide whether or not to put Christmas lights on my house and so by that time it's too late to put them up anyway.

And the irony of people feeling inconvenienced that this year we have to actually go to church on Christmas Day. Ugh!

And watching the Grinch's heart grow three sizes ♥

And most of all, hearing my mom use the phrase, "Okay, Dad and I are really going to cut back and not spend as much on Christmas this year" and then getting the same amount of presents we always have, if not more :)


Another thing I was thinking about is whether or not it was possible to find different versions of Christmastime songs I hate and whether those versions could make me like them. I have to say that this version of "Wonderful Christmastime" by Jars of Clay doesn't suck. I didn't say it was awesome, but I can tolerate it. Unlike the original song by Paul McCartney that makes me want to drive my car off a cliff.



p.s. Despite the fact they are a Christian rock band and I don't agree with all their personal politics, I think I have a slight crush on Jars of Clay. Love, love, LOVE that guy's voice :)

and if you have Spotify, Almost Christmas by Jars of Clay is really blowing me away right now...

No comments: