Saturday, June 19, 2010

You're called what?

Wow, you know you are having a good summer when you have to ask yourself "What day is it?" at least twice a day. This is how I have felt all week! And the main reason is the World Cup. I have been completely and totally sucked in. It's not that I didn't know I like to watch soccer- which I genuinely do, I don't just tolerate it for Jacob or feel obligated to be interested, I really love watching it- it's that I have been watching almost three games a day for over 8 days now and I find myself getting really into the stories of the teams, the nations, the players, rivalries, etc. (And also since I found out that Univision shows every game on a broadcast channel I get at my very own house, well, the indentation of my backside has been molded into my living room recliner quite nicely :)

One of the thoughts I had the other day while watching was whether or not all these national teams have actual official names or mascots. I didn't really think any of them did. But oh no, my friend- they do! And some of them are flat out awesome. So here are some of the best soccer team names from World Cup 2010:

Australia: The Socceroos (that would also make an excellent Wuzzle in my opinion)
Denmark: The Danish Dynamite (I am picturing some sort of bear claw with TNT in the middle)
Germany: Die Manschaft, which means "The Team" (I'm shocked at their logic!)
Japan: The Blue Samurai (it's easy to not use your hands when their holding a sword)
North Korea: The Chollima, which means "The Thousand-Mile Horse" (Huh?)
Netherlands: The Flying Dutchmen (Spongebob would be so proud)
Serbia: The White Eagles (not bad, but Nigeria has you beat)
South Africa: Bafana Bafana (mee, my mo man-uh, Ba-faaaaan-uh!)
New Zealand: The All Whites (I thought that was BYU basketball's team name...)
Cameroon: The Indomitable Lions (we just don't use that adjective enough anymore)
Algeria: The Desert Foxes (The Desert Fox sounds like some sort of African Robin Hood, doesn't it?)

And my personal favorite:
Nigeria: The Super Eagles (In your face, Serbia!)



See what you're missing?! So far in the tournament our dear USA has had two tie games and needs a win versus those sly Desert Foxes on Tuesday. We also need a very lame England team to beat Slovenia this next week. The stars are aligning, but in who's favor? I can't wait to see that for myself :)

3 comments:

Marina said...

You are losing track of the days! The US game is on Wednesday if I'm not mistaken.

Unknown said...

Your New Zealand comment made me laugh out loud in a very quiet cafe. :-)

Jessica said...

Case in point! It is Wednesday, I knew I cleared my schedule that day for a reason...GO USA! :)