Monday, September 14, 2009

Experience #15- Attend a Political Rally

Or whatever you want to call it, as it really was not really about a certain political party... But on Saturday I went with my Dad to our local "Tea Party". It was held at the Lake Mirror pavilion in Downtown Lakeland. They had the original nationwide Tea Party's back on April 15th of this year, but I was not fully motivated to go back then. However, as I have been listening to talk radio and researching the new proposed health care bill over the past few weeks, I can honestly say that I have become incredibly concerned about the direction in which our government is taking us and I truly felt the need to finally go and speak out. I have never done this before in my life, but I can honestly say it felt so good to go and let my voice be heard. I highly recommend it! The next Tea Party- we are so there! And naturally it had to rain all day on that particular day, which only happens like once a year in Florida. Usually we just get a squall line and then it clears. But no, it rained all day on Saturday. Oh well :) We had a great turnout anyway. The event was to last from 11am to 4pm and we were there for about 3 hours. They had a collage of different speakers, music, and even a snappy drum and fife corp. Very cool! One of the speakers was Marco Rubio, the young gun that is going to challenge Governor Crist for a Senate seat next fall. He was awesome! Barring any horrific revelation about this guy (you know, like he is actually a woman, he was Team Jacob when reading the Twilight saga or he likes the music of Jewel) he totally has my vote! But, hands down, the best part of any political rally are the signs that everyone brings. Love those! Dad and I brought 6 different ones between us. They were fun to make too- I felt like such an activist! So here are some of the highlights from the morning...

The gathering angry mob


More Mob


Ack, my Dad is part of the Mob! Wait, so was I....


Dad had some great signs. People loved this one!


Our friends Brenda Serpas, Nick Adams and Shelby Watson braved the rain and came with signs too.


I hadn't realized that Uncle Sam was so tall. His pictures on all those posters never really hint at that.















I gotta get me a big tall sign next time. Those were cool.



Yes, there are so many options when making a sign. You can go with the witty:





The tongue-in-cheek: (but in this case, totally accurate!!)




The kind of creepy but really funny:




The brutally honest: (neener, neener!)




The eloquent: (no one says it better than our Founding Fathers)




The misspelled!!!! Which just makes us all look bad... COME ON, PEOPLE!!!!


REALLY?? Oh, the humanity!

This one too:






Or the just plain awesome :)

Note to self: don't use that blue marker anymore....

But really, if you feel even a hint of desire to attend a rally or Tea Party near you- GO! It is very empowering and nothing makes you feel more patriotic. Plus, if Obamacare passes, we are all gonners and we have very limited time left on Earth. Just sayin'....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Reading the signs are the best part. Someone gave me this quote a bit ago. It's Ezra Taft Benson. I would love to find where it is. I'm just trusting their accuracy.

"If Americans should ever come to believe that their rights and freedoms are instituted among men by politicians and bureaucrats, then...(they) will grovel before their masters seeking favors and dispensations, a throwback to the feudal system of the Dark Ages."

Kinda long for a poster though.