Monday, February 25, 2013

Hit It!

Saturday was opening day for Spring softball season!  Thankfully it will be the only actual Saturday I have to give all season.  They played two short scrimmage games and it was a good assessment of what we need to work on, which is pretty much everything :)  

But first we had to do individual and team pictures.   Every time I am pressured into paying for sports pictures for my kids, I always have the thought, "I will take my own for free! Ha ha suckers!"  And then I remember this.....




And my next thought is, "Who do I make the check out to?"


I like their uniforms this year.  I was so happy it fit!  Uniform sizes are like a box of chocolates.  But she looks great.  Even with the face that says "Right now in my head I'm plotting your demise."


And notice that Luke is sticking out his tongue down here.  In the words of C-3PO, when it comes to pictures of my kids, I seem to be made to suffer.  It's my lot in life. (Yes, Mom, karma is not fun.)

Although the uniform fit well, the socks were a completely different story.  Cindy only really wears one pair of socks. Ever. They are the only ones that "feel right" in her shoes.  I think she wears them every single day to school and they could kill an full grown ox with their stench, but I have learned to never get involved when it comes to socks.  She just does whatever she has to do and I look the other way.  Yesterday morning when she put on the new socks, I heard her tell me they felt weird and then she was a puddle of tears in .03 seconds.  I repeated my motto of "Do whatever you need to do to fix the problem" and walked away.  Twenty minutes later she had cut the toes off the socks and was wearing them like leg warmers.  See?  Solving your own problems is the way to go!


Then we had the parade of teams to officially start the season....




I have seen this on Pinterest and was very glad to see it hanging on every field on opening day.



I didn't take that many pictures, but we've got all season for that.  Here's a few....



Warming up....




I am not sure what this stretch is or exactly does, but Cindy seems to excel at it.



Their first game was pretty good.  Lots of hits, lots of good catches.  The second game was played as if they were under a spell that made them forgot how to do anything related to softball.  Overthrows, missed catches, infinity foul balls- not to mention that all the girls were full of Gelati Joe's and kettle corn- plus, you add in the mid-80 degree weather and it was a hot and sluggish affair.

Cindy played first base one time, and then played right field the other times.  She was a little bummed that she was playing outfield so much.  But that just gives her good motivation to practice catching the ball off the bounce- which is a key skill in little league softball.




Definition of Irony:  Cindy as a pinch runner for the girl with the boot cast on her leg.  I love Cindy so much, but honestly, she is only slightly faster than a girl running with a boot cast on her leg.  She takes after me, I own that.  

 

But notice Cindy's new pink batting helmet! Thank You, Ebay.



Grandma and Grandpa Sweeney came out to watch while they are here for a few days.  Grandma Bingham was there too, but I didn't snap a pic before she got away.  I'll get you next time, Gadget!  


As for Luke, well, he's just there for the snack bar and to swing on palm trees.



No comments: