Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Great Grandpa Rufus


Jacob's grandpa Rufus Sweeney passed away on Monday night.  He was 85 and had been tormented with Alzhiemer's for the last year and a half or so.  I think his family has great relief and peace with his passing.  I think I first met Rufus right before Jacob and I got married.  We were driving home from Utah to Florida and stopped in Ada, OK to see his family.  I can't remember a time when Jacob was so excited to have me meet someone.  Back then Rufus and Grandma Nadine had their own store, called Sweeney's- it was a little gas station and convenience store and I think every Sweeney grandchild worked there or at least has a few memories of getting free candy, soda or walking into the giant freezer in the back.  I had been told since meeting Jacob, that Rufus was a the sweetest, kindest, gentlest man.  And indeed he was. The grandboys always joked that Rufus described every meal that Grandma Nadine ever cooked as "the best meal he ever tasted."  And that was true!  I heard Rufus say that to Nadine on many, many occasions.  He and grandma came to our wedding, and then we attended their 50th Wedding Anniversary party in Oklahoma a few months later.  He was always positive and happy.  I was always amazed at how content he was with a simple life.  They drove simple cars and lived in a simple house, though they were successful enough that they certainly didn't have to.  He liked taking slow, driving vacations and finding happiness in visiting every fruit stand along the way.  We were fortunate that Rufus and Nadine came to Florida several times since we moved back.  I am glad my children got to spend time with them as much they did.  Cindy is very fond of Nadine, as they share the same birthday :)  I remember they happened to be here for Luke's 2nd birthday and we had strawberry shortcake with an angel food cake that I had made from a box mix.  Both of them could not stop telling me how good it was (I'm sure Rufus told me it was the best cake he ever tasted :)  and as I recall, he sheepishly even asked for seconds, and ate every bite.


Three years ago when our family drove out to Utah for Nathan's wedding, we stopped in Ada for a few days.  We stayed with them and I remember Luke and Rufus eating blueberries together.  I think Luke gets that directly from his great grandpa.  They both could eat them like candy.





I really love these pictures.  They all personify Rufus so well.  He never wanted to be the center of attention.  He was just always there, in the background or off to the side, quietly working and being happy with everything life had given him.  I can honestly say that Rufus is one person Jacob has told me that he wishes he could be like.  Although we will miss him, we know he is home now.  What a wonderful legacy he has left behind :)

No comments: