Monday, July 28, 2008

Most things are never finished

One of the qualities I wish I had most was the ability to not procrastinate. I procrastinate all the time. Whether it is writing a talk for church, returning a phone call, doing the dishes and loading the dishwasher right after dinner- I just don't do things right away. It takes me forever. Consequently I then go through moments of total focus and dedication. I make a list, I write down all the things I need to do, I set timelines and then- well, then I walk into the other room to get a new pen and I realize all the things in that room that are bothering me right then and I start to tackle those. Thus, I have forgotten all about the list and the determination I felt to get the list finished. Most frustrating is that I am a blue personality, (see book The Color Code) which means I am supposed to be good at detail work, getting things done and doing them right, being on task and focused. But whether it is having two kids that throw every best laid plan off its axis or a slight case of ADD- I just can't seem to get things accomplished very fast. I have decided (again) that THIS week will be my week to really make some headway in this house. THIS WEEK I will finally paint the bathroom, hang up the revolving tie rack Jacob that got for Christmas last year, wash my bathroom shower curtain and sew a cushion for my front tree swing. (Along with about a million other things that I know darn well will take lots more than a week.) But then I remember that all the never ending chores still have to get done too. My children still need clothes, I still need at least 2 clean spoons in the house, the grass is still going to be a foot high after I mowed the day before. Not to mention that I still have to swim, bike or run most every day of the week to keep some sort of hope alive that I can complete a sprint triathlon. And let's not even go to the realm of church responsibilities that can fit in there. I am already totally exhausted and all I did was type this post! So in the end, I am hoping to accomplish one extra project per week, big or small. I am keeping a master list of all my tasks and slowly I will cross them off one by one. My name is Earl.

No comments: